(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 212
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

we just got a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, i garage for 169k aus dollars. We still needed to renovate the place though, but we paid the higher price for the better neighbourhood

Post # 214
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

you can buy a house, but not a nice one. Or even a pretty decent one. But 4 walls on a small plot of land? Yep!

Post # 215
149 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@gingerbreadgirl:  I think about moving all the time.. im in So Cal ..hubby and I are saving for a townhome not even a house and our budget is 500-600k. =( buttt then again its so cal and weather doesn’t get any better and im high maintenance so if there isn’t a nice mall and nice restuarants to eat at nearby i get cranky. =P I love my saks and bloomingdales and I truly appreciate nice restaurants so i guess you get what you pay for..

Post # 216
1400 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@MrsMaskatoBe:  pretty close to us! We’re more south, but not far from there!

Post # 217
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

No, the only home you could get here for $125k would be in the downtown area where you would have to worry about getting shot/mugged/raped, etc.  Need I say more!

Post # 218
2457 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Saw this post the other day but for some reason couldn’t log in – I just wanted to add…

HELL NO. Haha. Orange County is one of the most expensive places on earth (it seems). A nice 3-4 bedroom is around 450k-500k to start. And that’s not even in the nicest areas. That’s just in “decent” areas. Really nice areas are looking more towards 750k – 850k.

My buddy is renting a 3 bedroom condo right now, with a two-car garage… he said he looked at those condos back when they first were on the market and they were going for $550k. 

Yeesh.

Post # 219
692 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

In the school district I’m in now?  Not a chance.  But small starter homes are going for about that price if you go towards the more rural areas.  Admittedly, not great houses, usually old double-wides.  Most of the price comes from the huge amounts of land they all sit on.  And you’ll have to get used to having Amish neighbors.

Post # 220
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I can’t buy a closet for 125K.  Studio condos go for 300K around here.

Post # 221
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

HAHA I wish!!!! I watch these house hunter shows and want to cry lol the houses they get for 150-300 would be upwards of 800-1 mil in my area! UGH

Post # 222
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Absolutely not! I live near Vancouver, BC and we just paid $350K for a 2 bedroom condo!

Post # 223
845 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

You COULD find one but 175k would get you once in a much nicer area–small ish (1400-1600 s1 ft). Central Valley, CA

Post # 224
9130 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

@gingerbreadgirl:  We bought our house for 130k.  It’s SMALL though – 850 sq ft, detached garage, two large yards.  We live in a small town (30 thousand people) with pretty good schools.  The closest city (Denver) is 2.5 hours away.

Post # 225
845 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@gingerbreadgirl:  YES! I went to UCLA and love los angeles! LOVE IT! There is no better place in the U.S. for me but the cost of living is astronomical–I’d have to be a slave to my work just to afford it and I wouldn’t REALLY be able to enjoy it under those circumstances. So I think I’ll move back to the Central VAlley where I grew up–central CA is so much more affordable but then again there’s NOTHING there. 

Post # 226
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Nope! Like a pp said, Victoria BC is expensive. Average detached home is around 600k and we recently paid 260k for a 500sq ft condo.

On the plus-side, with very few exceptions, after having grown up in Victoria and Vancouver, not too many places seem expensive in terms of COL!

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors