(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 17
9845 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yes, you can here. It won’t be the absolute best part of town, but you’re not going to get mugged or anything.

Post # 18
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

You can in my area, if you head to the next town over.

Post # 19
601 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Where I live a nice 3 bedroom home would prob run about 85000 maybe a little more but no more then 95000

Post # 20
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think it really depends on the area. In my state the prices are drastically different in depending where you are. In the less populated parts of the state homes are much cheaper, but stores are also a lot farther away. I think it also greatly depends on what you’re looking for & what you consider to be nice. I’ve seen some amazing houses for sale for 150k-200k that were major fixer uppers, but had so much amazing potential. I know that I would consider them to be “nice” and great deals, but I’ve also seen a lot of people that don’t even want to paint when they buy a house. 

Post # 21
6107 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

In my area (Hampton Roads, VA) you can find a house at that price. It may not be in the best location, it will be a smaller house, or a foreclosure that needs fixing-up. It’s doable but really hard.

Post # 22
3941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Doable here as well (Richmond, VA).  125k could get you a single family home but it might not be in the best condition.

Post # 23
8880 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Nope, not in my area!

Post # 24
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Yes, a really nice house!!! LOL

Post # 25
1301 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@gingerbreadgirl:  nope. I doubt you could buy a car parking spot for that in my area. 

Post # 26
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

You definitely can in my area. It would likely be in the suburbs, though. There are properties for way under $100k in the city, but not where you’d want to live. We live in one of the nicest in town neighborhoods and our house cost $225k (2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom).  I am from this area, but Fiance isn’t, and we met while living in NYC for college/grad school. Cost of living is one of the main reasons we left New York (along with weather!). 

Post # 27
4114 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I live outside of DC now, so NO WAY. My 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo was almost 250K. A single family runs upwards of 500K (and that is in the boonie, 30-45 minutes from the city).

I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland – you can get a nice single family there for less than 125K

Post # 28
13903 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Nope, you can’t even get a townhouse for 250k in my area (immediate DC suburbs).  The townhouses up the street from my apartment building (2 Beds, 2 baths, garage) go for $900,000. 

Post # 29
2999 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Sure can here! That’s about what we’re going to start looking for. I’m in the Youngstown/Cleveland OH area.

Post # 30
1292 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2019

I’m from Mississippi, and it seems to me the cost of living can generally be lower here compared to states further up. And yes, absolutely I think you could get a house for that price (if I’m talking about where my parents live). But not outside city limits because those houses tend to cost way more–probably for that very reason. As far as schools go, my hometown has excellent public schools, but in the next city over private school is pretty much your only choice. 

But I’m not saying that this cost always the case. I also go to university in the same state in a different city, and the houses around campus would probably cost millions.

It’s really going to depend a lot on the cities you’re looking at and what’s in it because usually the more a city has the more housing is going to cost. 

Post # 31
1094 posts
Bumble bee

No, condos and apartments here start at around 220K (not in the best area). We just bought a house and in the area we were loking at (residential, semi-suburban, 10 minutes from downtown), townhouses can start around 400K, semi-detached homes start at 600K, and detached homes start around 700K (and the homes at this price are usually not in good condition). Im in Montreal, Canada.

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors