(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 47
3324 posts
Sugar bee

Not even close.

You could get a studio condo for about 250,000.

I live in a single family detatched (though it’s about a foot from the neighbour) and my lot is 20 feet across. My house cost 420,000 dollars.

Watching American real-estate shows makes me furious.  People talking about a 3,000 sq. foot house as being too small, and all for 150,000. Yikes!

Post # 48
11259 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: City, State

View original reply
@MASPA:  

Same here.  In my immediate neighborhood, no.  But in neighborhoods uncomfortably close by, yes.

Post # 49
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

We got a deal on our 3 bedroom 1 bathroom rancher for $119,000, it was a foreclosure,  and needed a new paint job on the inside, but other than that its been a great house

I think if you look close enough and be patient you might be able to find a deal

Post # 50
7899 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

No way. You’d be lucky to get a 2 bedroom townhouse or condo built in the 60s.

Post # 51
7426 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I don’t even think you could get a studio apartment in the ghetto for that around here. (Orange County, CA)

Post # 52
8434 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

In my current neighborhood, you could probably get a nice townhome.  The community we live is has a ton of ammenities (golf course, 4 pools, parks, walking trails, a gym, tennis courts, etc) and features a good elementary and middle school for it’s residents.  We purchased our single family, 3 bed, 2.5 bath 1900 sq ft house for $150k this summer and annual taxes are just under $2k (within city limits).

My Fiance is from the NY/NJ area and I’m originally from Orange County, CA, you wouldn’t be able to get anything for $125k.

Post # 53
1278 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

We live in a 3 bed 2 bad 1324 sq foot 1 story house in Vegas in a decent neighborhood and I paid $120k for it 3.5 years ago. I think righr now the houses in this neighborhood are selling for $80-90k. My cousins beautiful 4 bedroom 2500 sq ft house in a great neighborhood in Vegas just forclosed and was sold for $145k. Its a crazy house market here right now. 

Post # 54
4575 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Nope, you could find fixer-uppers in a not so very nice area with the kind of budget….you want a nice are, its gonna cost you for sure!

Post # 55
1618 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Yeah, you can here.  It wouldn’t necessarily be the nicest, biggest house or in the prettiest location, but you certainly wouldn’t have to put bars on your windows either. 

Post # 56
5009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

Yes. I live in a commuter town near Edinburgh and you can get a 2-3 bedroom ex-council house for the equivalent of $125k. Our house was a bit more (about $150k) and is in a slightly nicer (still ex-council) area.

Post # 57
15203 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

My downpayment was about that.

Post # 58
1548 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I couldn’t even get a studio apartment for that price in my town!

Post # 59
9799 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

Depends on what you mean by “nice.”  You can certainly get a decent house around here for that price (depending on where you are) but it would probably be a townhouse or a smaller house (2 bedroom) and maybe not-so-updated.  For what I would consider a nice house (3 bedrooms, fairly updated) I would probably want at least $175K to work with.  So it’s not too far off.

Where I actually live right now the median house price is $200-230K.  In other areas it is a lot lower.  Where I work the median hosue price is around $170K.  You could buy a house for $60K in some areas…but most people don’t want to live in those areas.

Post # 60
2966 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
@MASPA:  This is hilarious, but so true. Same here. 

In LI houses that are in good neighborhoods and still need lots of work are at least $350K. We have just raised our limit to $400K because we are getting depressed from looking at these horrible places…it’s so sad :(.

I love watching Property Virgins, or those other home buying shows, where they are in Atlanta or something and are shown a 3000sqft mansion for $165K and the buyers complain that it’s not “big enough”. I would be lucky to get 1300sqft for $400K here! 

Bleh. 

Post # 61
Bee
2360 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

Manhattan – not even close! In Syracuse though, where I lived for three years, I think it would definitely be possible.  The range in New York State is insane.

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors