(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 62
595 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Not unless you don’t mind manufactured housing.  But if you want a good quality mobile home in a good school district, they are going for $200,000+.

Post # 63
11231 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

View original reply
@Mrs_Amanda:  Oooh, that’s nice! You must live near my cousin.

Definitely can buy a nice home here for under $125k. Not many nice ones for sale right now for $125 (better ones for less), but there’s a nice one that’s 1886 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 2 car attached garage:

Wonderful 2-story in desirable [blahblah] neighborhood of [blah blah]! Spacious floor plan features large living room, lovely formal dining room, open kitchen (includes appliances) overlooks delightful informal dining area (w/access to private patio & backyard), plus fantastic family room w/wood burning FP. Convenient main level half bath (w/option for main floor laundry – current owner moved laundry to basement). New neutral carpet recently installed throughout the home (except one bedroom). Upper level features a Master Suite w/private bath & 2 walk-in closets. 3 secondary bedrooms are generous in size & serviced by a large family bath. Lower level has plenty of storage space, laundry area (includes washer/dryer) and a finished room. Newer roof (replaced 2 years ago). Convenient to shopping & highway, plus walking distance to Blah Elementary School!” 

Kitchen and bathrooms need updating, and the outside needs some love (though those are more personal preferences, I guess, but I don’t know anyone who likes brass fixtures).

Post # 64
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

That’s about £80k GBP, so no. Maybe you could get a one bedroom, shoebox sized flat in some of the really horrible bits, but otherwise then no. I live just outside London, and for a four bed suburban middle class home, you’re probably looking at at least half a million USD.

Post # 65
7643 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

Nope!

I live just outside the heart of oil country in ND, and for a 125K you are going to get a broken down piece of junk. By the time you’re done with it, it will be worth 200k+

We looked at a house for 169K–Siding was crumbling off, mold in the garage, and water issues, but they had no problem selling it. Crazy!

Post # 66
1848 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

A fixer-upper, maybe. 125K home will not get you far in the nicer neighborhoods of Philly. In the less desirable neighborhoods? Easily.

Post # 67
11231 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

View original reply
@megz06:  That REALLY surprises me. I would think that states like ND, SD, Montana, and Wyoming would be CRAZY cheap in terms of housing.

Post # 68
3617 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Nope. 1 bedroom condos start around 300k in my zip code.

Post # 69
2176 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

that is less than most parking spot deeds in my area!!!

Post # 70
5217 posts
Bee Keeper

View original reply
@vorpalette:  yeah the housing market is pretty affordable, even though Nashville has some outrageously expensive areas and homes to the stars, it’s still a relatively low cost area …so I’m happy about that! 

Post # 71
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Easily, and it would be a nice neighborhood as well.

Post # 72
2022 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Yes – you can totally buy a nice house for $125K or under in our area!

Post # 73
7643 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
@vorpalette: It used to be. Depends on where you are at too now. They are jacking the price up because these oil workers make soooo much money. They are pretty much kicking the locals out that can’t pay $1500 for rent on a crappy two bedroom apt.

We are house hunting, and we can’t find something decent in our price range so we are building. In the long run it will be cheaper, but after all this oil leaves our house probably won’t be worth squat, but what do you do?

Post # 74
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I can’t even buy an apartment for 500k 🙁

Post # 75
2825 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Yes, but not a nice (or even decent) one… A nicer, somewhat new or at least partially updated house around here starts at 200K, but the houses I tend to like here are in the 400k+ range (we won’t be moving any time soon!).

That said, after looking at what is available in our price range, I really appreciate our little house more and more. I feel like our house (which is mostly updated) should be worth more than it is though.

Post # 76
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Yes! Fiance and I are hoping to purchase a home and condo out here for around 150-160k total after the wedding.

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors