(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 77
2211 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

No, but you can get close to that (150-160k) in certain parts of Madison; I did. 

Though, it was pretty much the perfect storm when I bought my house:  the owners were having another baby and closing on their new house in 2 months, so they were desperate to get rid of the old one.  Plus, I was the only one who put an offer in at the time, and it was in 2010, which was one of the slowest times in the housing market here.  I think they ending up selling to me for 20 to 25k less than they paid in 2003.

Post # 78
1406 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Nope 200-300k for a decent home here. You can find some for 150 but those are usually fixer uppers 

Post # 79
306 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Yes, you could get a very decent house for that mount here in suburbs of Omaha. It makes me excited because I’m originally from Boston. You couldn’t buy a cardboard box to live in there for 125k. However, DH and I go back and forth abt buying here (right now we have an apartment) because we moved here for my job that’s only supposed to last 3 years and then we will move again!

Post # 80
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Totally. And it’d be a pretty nice home as well!

I love describing homes to my old NJ friends and family and having them guess at the cost. What would cost $500k up there is $200k down here EASILY.

Post # 81
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

you can’t buy a closet in Northern NJ for $125,000

I am still amazed at the offer on my house right now; it is fairly small, on a .25 acre, for $311,000

Post # 82
883 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@MrsFutureG:  my best friend in FL does that all the time; and the property taxes – shes pays in one year, what I pay in one month…

Post # 83
6511 posts
Bee Keeper

LOL!  Nope!

Post # 84
853 posts
Busy bee

Nope. I live on a Caribbean island, which you would think would mean lower prices. Absolutely not. We’re currently in the process of buying and the property we’re looking at all range from about $600-$750,000 USD. This includes less than 1/3 of an acre of land and an average-sized home, albeit in the more upscale neighbourhoods. It also means unfurnished and non-air conditioned.

I am always amazed at how much can be bought for reasonable prices in the US. Fully furnished, 3,000 sq. ft homes on half-acre lots for $200,000 and people are complaining? Pssshttt. 😛

Post # 85
2359 posts
Buzzing bee

Nope, unless we moved to the burbs.   Which we are not.    Right now i live in a part of the city with million dollar homes, we rent the main floor apt in a house.   We’d love to buy a house in this area but i think we’d have to win the lottery first, haha.  🙁

Post # 86
2807 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
@MASPA:  i’m with you.

in buffalo? yes, you can get a decent house for around that. in boston (general boston area), not really. a condo maybe, but not a house.

Post # 87
10635 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

The cheapest houses are $129,900, but a condo or townhouse could be had for less.  These are not nice houses though.  Nice starter homes, no garage would be closer to 300k.

Post # 88
1461 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

$125k doesn’t even get you a parking garage space in NYC.  I’m in northern NJ and a 3 bdroom house runs at least 500k depending on the town.  A 2 bdroom, 2 bathroom condo is 500-600k in a nice building – I know b/c we’ve been looking!

Post # 89
705 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

YES! My Fiance and I closed on a house a year ago for half that!!

Post # 90
18628 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Yes we can in the newer areas here but it’s pretty far away from grocery stores and traffic is a beast.

Post # 91
8469 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

HA!!  Not even close!

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors