(Closed) Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 92
2977 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Sure, but it might be a bit of a fixer-upper, on the small size or out in the sticks a bit! We got a brand new townhome 15 min from the city for 168k. Most of the nicer detached single family homes are at least in the 200Ks to start, at least in our house hunting expereince.

Post # 93
2401 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

You could probably afford a one bed, one bath condo in an “up and coming” neighborhood of Chicago, but you wouldn’t get much in terms of space or a kitchen. 

Most 2 bd/2 bth condos in the areas we are looking and living go for about 250k-400k. A home would be about 600k, and you really cant find a home for that price without going on the outskirts of the city or in really bad neighborhoods. A home in the area we are looking would easily be a cool million+. A townhome would be about 800k. 

Post # 94
322 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Yes, but it will either be very small or need a TON of work…

Post # 95
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Not even close.  You may be able to buy a tiny run down condo in the super ghetto outside the city if you add another 50K to that. 

But if you want a house or to live in a safe neighborhood or surrounding town that wont  get you the driveway. 

This is SF area. 

Post # 96
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

125K..hahaha. In Santa Barbara, CA you can get a semi decent 1 bedroom for 500,000 +. But I live in paradise so it is worth it. 

Post # 97
2103 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Yes, a reasonably nice home!

Post # 98
2424 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Nope, not a chance. Median sales price in my area is $319K. If you find something nice for less than $200K it’s a steal! Those are usually short sales/foreclosures, so they are hard to find. We’re not buying yet but I am hoping we can keep it to $250K when we do, though that may not happen.

Post # 99
7768 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Um, twice that.  125?  Only in my dreams.

Post # 100
496 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

A three (sometimes four) bed, possibly two bath, with a large back yard and many with garages. Great areas to live in too! I am looking at a home right now that is 89,000 three bed one bath with a small backyard, attatched garage and small basement. It is an older home and will need minor updates, but still a good home.

Post # 101
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2014

$125,000 won’t get you anything SUPER nice but it’s definitely do-able in the suburbs. I am in the Spokane area of WA state.

Post # 102
2446 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
@SouthernLawBride:  You got a house in Inman for $22K? We’re renting in Lake Claire and casually scouting Candler Park/Inman/Va-Hi/Druid Hills but haven’t seen anything less than $400K for fixer uppers. We’re looking for at least 3 bedroom/2 bathroom. If you don’t mind me asking, was your home renovated? Are you closer to L5P?

Post # 103
6255 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

Yep! You can’t buy a McMansion or anything, but you can buy a perfectly respectable sized family home that isn’t falling apart in an area that isn’t the ghetto for that price.

In my hometown, you could buy the same for about $80,000.

Post # 104
1571 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would say you could get an ok house for triple that around here 🙁

Post # 105
3063 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

You can get a relatively small condo in a decent side of town or a larger condo/townhouse in the ghetto.

Post # 106
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Yep, you could get a very decent house for that. In my hometown only the top 10% of houses would be over 100k.

it is going to be hard for me to leave the Midwest lol

The topic ‘Can you buy a home for 125K in your area?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors