(Closed) Can you help me justify $3500 on a dress????

posted 10 years ago in Dress
Post # 17
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Yep, I say you just wear a different dress until you get married!

eta: and buy the one you love the most 🙂

Post # 18
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Surprise wedding! Love the idea 🙂

So, as a budget bride, I just can’t fathom spending that much on a dress that you’ll wear for 4 hours. Even if you were to sell it, most people have to reduce it to 50% of the original cost for resale.

I agree with some of the others – It’s a pretty simple dress that you can have made by a local seamstress and you can DIY the belt yourself or have them make it for you. The silhouette isn’t too hard (love the pockets by the way).

If you do end up getting the $3500 (ack!) dress, the cocktail dress is a great idea. But hopefully you can reuse a dress you already have – otherwise you’ll be spending even more $$!

The nicole miller dress is elegant and simple and will definitely show off curves But again, it’s also a a pretty simple silhouette that you might be able to find cheaper.

Let us know what you decide!

Post # 19
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

I’ve tried on dresses at PoB.  I swear they have a trunk show or sale or promotion every month.  Just get on their email list (you might be able to do this online), otherwise when you go to the store they ask you for your email address on the form they give you.  

Post # 20
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Honest question: is the non-wedding the wedding you really, really want, or is it a budget issue?  If it’s the wedding you really, really want, I’d see if I could find the dress at like, a consignment store or ebay (I’m having trouble justifying that money).  If it’s a budget issue… don’t.

Post # 21
1045 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2008

Can you afford it, without any problems?  I guess for me, I’d just look at what I could buy instead of the dress– would I rather have the dress to wear for 4 hours (or less, if you have to wear a separate dress for everyone’s arrival), or would I rather put the money towards a week’s holiday in Egypt, or save it for our down payment fund or blah blah blah.  If you can afford it and the dress is really important to you, I’d say go for it.  If not, I’d just advise you to think about how you’ll feel the morning after the party– will you be happy you spent the money, or do you think you’ll regret it, and wish you had splurged on something that you can enjoy for more than a night.

Post # 22
436 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

You could justify it by telling yourself you’ll try to sell it afterwards?  It’s truly gorgeous…

Post # 23
2472 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My honest opinion is that by posting the question that you did, you know in the back of your mind that it’s not a good idea for you to spend that much money on a dress, especially considering your wedding situation.

Some brides have no qualms about shelling out the big bucks for a wedding dress, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  Even though I can afford an expensive dress, I am way too practical of a person to justify spending so much on a dress I will wear once in my life.  I think it’s way too easy to get wrapped up in wedding planning and then all of a sudden thousands of dollars for a dress starts to sound reasonable.

I guess my point is that I can sense from the way you expressed yourself in your post that you aren’t the type of bride to spend that much on a gown…so don’t force yourself to do it!  I promise you can find a dress you love for much less money!

Post # 24
157 posts
Blushing bee

I really like the PoB dress, but it reminds me of a few J.Crew wedding dresses that are much cheaper.

You could add a pretty belt/sash/bow to this one and get a really similar look; sometimes you can get a 15% off coupon which would make it even cheaper – http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WeddingParties/Wedding_Bride/gowns/PRDOVR~89384/89384.jsp’ defer=’defer

This one isn’t as full, but you could add a crinoline underneath; plus a belt as mentioned before – http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WeddingParties/Wedding_Bride/gowns/PRDOVR~99175/99175.jsp’ defer=’defer

There are also tons of J.Crew wedding gowns on Ebay.

Good luck with your decision!

Post # 25
314 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

$3500 is a lot of money, but if it’s in your budget and you can spend it, then get the dress you want. I also agree with some of the other posters that this is a pretty simple dress and what makes it so great is the belt and also the pockets. There are other companies that make similar dresses that you might could dress up with a sweet belt that would end up costing you less.

The JCrew dresses that someone already posted came to my mind. I also found this:

http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/Blu/dressint.php?idves=4524&idcat=1&idscat=3&npic=18&npag=1

Post # 26
665 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

If it is the one, then it is totally justifiable. Thats just how I see it. And its not just 4hrs… its something you’ll be looking at in pictures for the rest of your life! So, it shouldn’t be something mediocre. 🙂

Post # 27
5993 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

i say for th type of wedding you are planning i wouldnt go with a $3.5K dress

my first thoughts after reading about the style of wedding you are having is to go for something classic and tea length and Dolly Culture came to mind, http://www.dollycouture.com/ 

Post # 28
595 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009 - Ceremony: The Kraine Theatre, Reception: Midtown Loft & Terrace

I say go for it. I went back and forth for over a year about spending the money on mine and I don’t regret it for a second. I think your heart is telling you that you will wish you had if you don’t.

Post # 30
271 posts
Helper bee

I think $3500 is just too much.  You can find something else you like for a lot less money.

Post # 31
414 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I don’t know if you have ever thought about this but  you could find a seamstress to make it for you for a lot less. Maybe you could check around your area for one!

The topic ‘Can you help me justify $3500 on a dress????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors