(Closed) Can you help me justify $3500 on a dress????

posted 11 years ago in Dress
Post # 32
303 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I love love love that dress from pob..its amazing…for your surprise wedding- which i think is so cute. you could probably get away with that dress if your restaurant/vemue is very upscale, but otherwise it might look a little out of place.. but on the other hand- its your day you can do exactly what you want and no one is going to say anything to you. 

Post # 33
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I’d keep looking around.  It sounds like you just looked a few times, found one right away, and now you are set on it.  If a wedding dress is really what you want to wear to your party then take the time to look at more dresses.  You can find more dresses you love that don’t cost that much.  Look at dresses that aren’t by the huge designers.  You will find something similar for less.  

Post # 34
1732 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

But you ARE having a wedding.  It’s just not a weddingy wedding.  I love the idea of wearing a cocktail dress in the beginning (a sexy one for your FI), and disappearing to change into your wedding dress for the ceremony your friend is officiating.  It honors the act, makes it very special, and it makes for one hell of a surprise for your guests. 

Post # 36
56 posts
Worker bee

i am with the “if you can afford it, get it” mentality. That was exactly what my dress cost by Melissa Sweet, so obviously, I talked myself into it. I think it all comes down to your financial situation. If it doesn’t break the bank (and it seems like you’re having a low key wedding anyway), I wouldn’t see ANY harm in splurging on the dress and feeling (and looking) amazing all night long. That’s my opinion though – and the dress is beautiful! 🙂

Post # 37
4485 posts
Honey bee

You ARE having a wedding. It may not be the same type of wedding that everyone has or expects you to have but when you say your vows in front of a minister and witnesses and sign the marriage certificate, you are getting married. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If you’re hestitant about the price in any way, then that seems to me to be a huge red flag to not purchase it. That’s alot of money to put down on something that’ll only wear for a few hours at most and never wear again. If you can’t find anything else cheaper that you love, look into having your dream dress recreated by a local seamstress for a fraction of the price. Most seamstresses who do alterations are skilled enough that you can’t tell a difference at all between their recreation and the original design it was modeled from.

Post # 38
577 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I love the surprise wedding idea!!!!  I think you should definitely get the dress if you can afford it, at a sample sale or pre-owned, and you can sell it after and probably still have enough left for a decent-sized LV bag 🙂

Post # 39
4381 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

I think it’s an absolutely gorgeous dress. I also love Nicole Miller, but there are tons of other NM times in life. There aren’t that many PoB times. :p Go for it.

Post # 40
1892 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I love the idea of your wedding and Lily’s comment on wearing a cocktail dress and changing before the “surprise”…just adds to everything you know! Plus your FH wont see you in the dress either till right before.

I think I’m in the minority here but I personally like the Nicole Miller dress better. The PoB dress does nothing for me. Yea the belt is full of bling but the dress itself is so simple and doesn’t wow me, esp for the price. The Nicole Miller on the other hand catches my eye, the way it hugs the body and such.

That is just my opinion, but I think you should get the dress you like best and want to wear on your day!

The topic ‘Can you help me justify $3500 on a dress????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors