Post # 1
So unfortunatly our dollar has sunk and is continuing to sink vs the American dollar. Our dream honeymoon has been to go to Disney World, but everyone around me, especially my fil, are saying we should wait until the dollar goes back up.
Part of me wants to agree to wait but who wants to put off their honeymoon?? I feel like if we wait, it will never happen.
We are paying for the honeymoon ourselves so it would be our money “wasted” I guess. I think it’s worth the waste! Lol. I know we could have a “cheaper” honeymoon here in Canada but part of me just wants to be stubborn and go.
I’m sure we will have 6 grand and forgive me if I sound naive because I dont travel much but I think thats enough. Am I silly? Should we wait? Talk to me 😀
Also, we have never really been resort /beach types of people, maybe that is a part of why I am so set to go 😉
Post # 2
Hi Bee, the economy sucks right now and the Canadian dollar sucks as well. I too am having an American honeymoon, we are going to Hawaii. It’s already booked and we are going in November. I guess we can only hope and pray that the dollar will go back up. Were you planning on going right after the wedding?
Post # 3
I would think $6000 would be very tight, but it depends on length of stay, what all you want to do, staying on or off site, shopping, and if you want to see Universal as well. I love Disney and have considered it for my honeymoon, but I think I’d do a small trip in Canada and do a delayed honeymoon when the dollar recovers.
Post # 4
The dollar probably isn’t going anywhere any time soon… I’d go!!!
Post # 5
Obviously it will be a bit of a hit, but if you have the money, and you want to go right after the wedding, then go for it! But if there is something better you can use that money for maybe hold off for a while? My Fiance and I usually do a yearly trip to Seattle that we decided not to take (though this isn’t a honeymoon so less of a big deal 😉 )
But if you are thinking of spending 6000USD on your trip, its really costing you 8366.28 CND. So it really is a big cost.
Post # 6
- Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider
I’m not yet a Canadian, but I do commute back and forth between the States and Canada (weekly), so I have a pretty good handle on costs in both countries, and the state of the exchange rate.
if you were just doing American national parks, or staying in a lovely B&B, I’d say you’re fine with that amount of money. But your 6k becomes 4.2k after the exchange rate, and the food at Disney is OBSCENELY expensive (as are the nearby hotels, park passes, and the perks that allow you to truly make the most of the experience).
https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/vacation-budget-estimator/ <– This might be helpful, but keep in mind that you should always round up, and assume you’ll spend more than the budget estimator suggests.
Post # 7
$6000 Canadian is only about $4300 American right now. I’ve seen research that says our dollar will continue to fall, which means it could be closer to $4000 instead by June. With flights, park passes, hotel, and food, it’s certianly possible but it would be tight.
At the end of the day it’s your money and you can spend it however you’d like. But keep in mind you would essentially be throwing away $2000. I don’t think the dollar is going to go up substantially any time soon, so it’s not a case of waiting a few more weeks, but a few more years rather. I’d say if that is your dream, then do it. But be smart about it. Buy American cash when the dollar goes up a bit to get the best deal.
Also – on an unrelated note – they are saying the Zika virus will be in the states this summer. Is this something you are concerned with?
Post # 8
Speaking as an American who is taking a Canadian honeymoon this June and very happy about the dollar situation (sorry!), I still think it’s worth it for you to go. It may feel like money “wasted”, but honestly, it’s expensive no matter what, and if your aleady have the cash set aside, it’s fine. 6,000 is plenty to get you there and give you a great vacation! I wouldn’t wait. I’d probably look into other honeymoon options, but if this one is your dream you should do it!
Try to save where you can. Watch flight prices because they can go up and down quite a bit. Try to get a good deal on those. I think personally there is only so much to do at Disney, so maybe look at nearby attractions and spend a day or two in a regular hotel afterwards instead of resort the whole time. Eat outside the park whenever possible. And have a budget set up for the trip before you go.
Post # 9
Its your money and if you want to go then go. We were considering going to Florida this year and have changed our minds. Going to stay in Canada instead due to the dollar. Not sure where you are in Canada but there are great Canadian destinations you could consider (BC, east coast, Quebec) for a honeymoon and postpone Disney until the dollar recovered. Or look at somewhere like the UK. Westjet has good prices on their London flights.
Post # 10
My husband and I take at least 1 trip to the US a year. This year we decided against it. It’s just not worth it (to us) to throw away so much money. Instead we’ll be spending more time exploring other parts around us.
Disney isn’t going anywhere! Maybe you can save that for a 1 year anniversary trip and visit some other spots in Canada? We took a 2 week east coast trip last spring and it was honestly one of the best trips we have ever had. We flew into Montreal, then rented a car, drove to Quebec City, and then all through the maritimes and then flew from Halifax to NFLD. It was incredible! So much to see and do and we really enjoyed ourselves.
Post # 11
If you jump on specials when you see them, you can still travel. I don’t know where live in Canada but Delta and United currently have airfares from Vancouver to Orlando for $288 (Canadian) return including taxes.
Post # 12
~$4k USD is doable for Disney, depending on your length of stay and what you want to do. If you want to stay at a Disney Resort, it’ll be tighter than if you stay at an outside hotel obviously. If you just want to do Disney, many hotels have shuttles so you wouldn’t necessarily need to rent a car and pay for parking unless you wanted to do other things in Orlando.
FWIW, I live in FL and I’ve been to Disney several times and I wouldn’t think that Disney World is worth it to waste a bunch of money with the terrible exchange rate. Like PP said, Disney isn’t going anywhere, it’s not really a once-in-a-lifetime thing or anything like that. That said, there are ways to cut corners with a Disney vacation, but if you wait, you might be able to get a better Disney experience for the same amount of money.
Post # 13
The Canadian dollar is expected to go down to 0.59 cents of a US dollar and stay there till 2018 (forecasted by Macquarie Group analyst David Doyle, who is currently throught to be the top forecaster of the Canadian dollar).
Let’s assume by 2019 the dollar is back up to 0.90 cents… that even might be a bit too hopeful, but let’s be hopeful. Let’s not so much assume that you have $6kCAD to spend on any vacation, but that your disney vacation is $4kUSD. So your options are: go now and spend ~$6.7kCAD for your vacation or go in 3 years or so and spend ~$4.4kCAD. Is your time preference worth ~$2kCAD? No one can tell you what your time preference for money is, and no choice is wrong.. so long as its informed.
Hope you have a great honeymoon, whether or not it’s at Disneyland.
Post # 14
I’m an American who doesn’t understand the appeal of Disneyworld OR the appeal of vacationing in America haha, so my advice is totally biased… but what about doing Disney in Japan instead? Is CAD vs the yen any more appealing?
Post # 15
We are in the same spot. We are planning our trip to California and were also debating if we should go. Ultimately, we decided to go becuase a) its our honeymoon and it should be special;
b) honeymoons are never cheap and c) you really never know what will happen in a year or two if you delay it.
I say go for it but just do some reasearch in terms of where to stay and how you can save money while you are on the trip. Maybe do Dinsey for a few days and then venture out to some cute b&B on the coast?
Either way, I hope you guys have a great time 🙂