(Closed) Canadian Bees – Passport/Name Change Question!

posted 4 years ago in Names
Post # 2
974 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Bri1o:  I’m in the exact same position as you. I had to renew my passport, but knew that I’d have to get a new one in a few months. My only option was the one you explained, get the cheaper 5 year one, and then when you change your name get the 10 year one.

Post # 3
13251 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Not Canadian — but in the US they have a marriage loophole.  If you pay for a renewal, and you change your name within one year of that renewal date, they will issue you a new one under your new name for free.  I’d check out with the passport authority to see if you have a similar program in place!

Post # 4
11693 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

Bri1o:  I was told by the person at city hall (when I got my marriage license) that the option you described is all you can do – unless you can get one of those fancy enhanced drivers license things that are valid for canada/us travel?

Post # 5
670 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I had the same issue, yep you pay for a new one and then a few months later get a new one again with your married name

Post # 6
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

yup, same issue! you’re at least not alone 🙂 my plan is exactly the same as yours, i haven’t come across any other options/loopholes. boo! i hate wasting money. it’s amazing how much the government takes/charges us for marrying! from the license, to name changes, to every little other fee… ridiculous.

Post # 7
1828 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Exactly the same thing here…I’m in the process of changing my name on everything and my passport is on the list. I hate wasting money but had no choice. 🙁

The topic ‘Canadian Bees – Passport/Name Change Question!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors