(Closed) Cancel honeymoon for full refund or pay extra for flight change? Need advice

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Which option should I pick?
    Full refund : (23 votes)
    43 %
    Inconvenient travel schedule with terrible layover : (2 votes)
    4 %
    Pay extra $200 : (29 votes)
    54 %
  • Post # 3
    Member
    3081 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

    This is a really tough one!! But since you say you would not likely book another big trip, I’m in favor of 2 or 3. But whatever decision you make, please don’t second guess it. Make it and move on! 

    I’m conservative with money as well, so I definitely see the rationale behind all three options, but your honeymoon as is sounds perfect. 

    Post # 4
    Member
    665 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

    I’d say option 3. If you pay an extra $200 so you can have your honeymoon I’d say its worth it. If you’re worried about the money go with option 2 and make the layover fun by hanging with your new husband 🙂 

    Post # 5
    Member
    5547 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

    Personally, $200 is worth it to me to not be stuck in a plane or airport for longer. I HATE long layovers. 

    Post # 6
    Member
    478 posts
    Helper bee

    Could you make the layover really long in a cool city?  I often take a long (at least 7 hours) layover if I can get it and take the opportunity to hang out in a new city for a bit.

    Post # 7
    Member
    5984 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

    I would just cancel for a full refund and do a cheaper trip. If you really want to take the trip then I would do option #3 and pay $200 for a more convenient trip…it would be worth it to me

    Post # 8
    Member
    4520 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

    I think having your honeymoon is worth it. I’d pay the $200.

    Post # 9
    Member
    1006 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

    Pay the extra $200.

    Post # 10
    Member
    11272 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2012

    i think you should cancel the trip and get a full refund.  you can get a better all-inclusive vacation for less than $3000.  you can find a decent vacation sell-off for $2000 for 7 nights.  you won’t have to worry about paying for dinner and drinks on your honeymoon when it’s all-included.  check less expensive honeymoon spots like dominican republic or cancun/mayan riviera.

    Post # 11
    Member
    492 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

    I vote option 3 – but I also vote that you call the airline and explain it’s your honeymoon and ask “if there’s anything they can do to help” since they are the ones who changed things and left you in a bad situation.  Our airline changed our Hawaii honeymoon flight times as well and gave us a crappy alternative flight (cutting out a whole day of our vacation!) – after calling, we were able to convince them to give us a much better alternative flight than what they originally were offering.  You never known until you ask!

    Post # 12
    Member
    5296 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 1993

    when do you have to decide by? I would:

    research cheaper alternatives/flights (or chat up a travel agent – for  free!)

    see where the layover would be or if you could at all make that work

    take another hard look at your finances and see if this trip is just making you live lean for a bit or if would be a serious hardship.

    If the answer to the first two is no, and and the third is ‘live lean’ – spend the $200 and go on your honeymoon!

    Post # 13
    Member
    5296 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 1993

    @ahavah:  definitely try this!! we had a flight get us in to a conference a day late and my friend called and got them to change our afternoon flight to the next morning, since they’d made us miss the first day. 

    Post # 14
    Member
    4687 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

    Wait, the airline just “changed their schedule” and is f*ing up YOUR honeymoon and YOU have to pay?  No way. I would refuse to pay the $200.

    Post # 15
    Member
    9056 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

    I would probably take the refund just to have the flexibility to book something else. BuT I would still definitely book something!  If you have some time to think, browse a bit to see what else is available, and if you can find a better deal or something more budget friendly go for that. If you’re really attached to this particular trip I would definitely raise a little noise about the inconvenience THEY caused and see if you can get the fee waived or some extras thrown in. 

    Post # 16
    Member
    14497 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

    If you wouldnt book it again and are so worried about using up the savings, I’d cancel and do it when it’s more affordable.  I love to travel, but it’s not worth it if it’s going to make me worry about finances.

    The topic ‘Cancel honeymoon for full refund or pay extra for flight change? Need advice’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors