- 9 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
When I lived alone, in apartments, I always got compliments on how my home smelled. People would either comment when they came in or even catching a whiff of my laundry, would say they liked how my home smelled.
Ever since I moved in with Fiance in his house, I have not been able to master that “home” smell. And it’s BUGGING me. I’ve been here since Oct and no matter what I try, I can’t get this house to smell like a home.
I know some people say they’d rather smell nothing, but I am not one of those people, so please don’t leave comments regarding that. I’m looking for ideas on how to make my home smell good, CONSISTENTLY. =)
– Have cleaned, scrubbed and wiped down everything I could think of.
– Our house is not dirty. We mop often, with a Swiffer Wet. We vacuum. We dust. We do dishes.
– I’ve put lemons in the disposal and ran it.
– I got dishwasher cleaner for our SS dishwasher as sometimes (at least ours!) can get a bit of a sour smell if you don’t run it often. We rinse dishes, so no sour milk or other grossness can build up.
– I Febreeze a lot…our couch, our rug, our bed.
– FI’s son keeps his stuff to himself and cleans up after himself…wipes up spills, etc.
– Bathrooms are clean.
– Front loaders are clean…no smell there.
– I use Scentsy, every few days. We also tried the Bath and Body Works plug ins but they weren’t that strong. Maybe we didn’t use enough? We also ran into the issue of finding a scent we loved and when we would go to buy more, it would be gone. We didn’t want mismatched scents, it annoyed us, so we went to Scentsy. Which I love! But it only lasts for a few days and unless I leave them on all the time, it doesn’t stick.
So clearly it’s not “dirt”…We even aired it out yesterday…but as soon as I closed the windows, the non smell was back. 🙁 It’s just this non-specific, smell that doesn’t smell fresh. And it definately doesn’t smell like my former homes. The only time something might smell ok is I have wash going. But as soon as that stops, it’s gone.
Any ideas? Thank you!!!