(Closed) Can’t make up my mind on ering – help!

posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: What should I do?
    Just get the family ring - don't be greedy : (7 votes)
    18 %
    Ask for the solitaire and get the dream ring when Amora comes out : (9 votes)
    23 %
    Wait for Amora : (6 votes)
    15 %
    Reset diamond in dream setting : (18 votes)
    45 %
  • Post # 3
    454 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

    @abirdword:  Lol, first world problems, indeed!  I know I seen threads about upgrading/place holder rings before.  I’ll give you my honest opinion:  I really love the idea of knowing the ring he gives me will be the ring I have always.  There is something wonderfully romantic in that.  That being said, you need to think about how you view the emotional side of it.  Will you regret not having your mom’s ring down the road?  Will Mom regret you opting to upgrade your ring with a style you picked out yourself?  It’s great to hear SO is onboard seemingly no matter what you do.  Either way, make sure you update us and include LOTS of pictures! ๐Ÿ™‚

    Post # 4
    2442 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

    Can you get the family ring and just wear it on another finger?  You may not need to resize it now, but you may have to resize it in the future anyway.  This way you don’t ruin your mom’s original design.  As far as waiting for the Amora goes, that is a judgment call.  What is more important to you?  Being engaged or receiving the Amora.  If you’re in no rush, wait.  If you are, don’t.

    Post # 5
    1902 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

    I say get the ring you would be most happy with, whether that be settling for the family heirloom or a big sparkly Amora. I believe you only get engaged once so choose something your really pleased with ๐Ÿ™‚

    Post # 7
    269 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

    Just FYI, you CAN have the family ring resized in its current setting. If there isn’t enough metal  on the shank to take it up a quarter or helf size, your jeweler will cut the shank off and put on a new half shank to reinforce the ring and make it like new. I just wanted to let you know in case that influences your decision at all. 

    Post # 8
    7902 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

    I got a family ring, and I thought before I got it that maybe I’d want us to reset it at some point, but now that I have it, I don’t want to change a thing.

    Post # 10
    3482 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

    Flip a coin. I’m not even kidding. If you find you’re somewhat disappointed with the result, that’s your signal to choose the other.

    Post # 11
    13099 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

    I would go with your dream ring (assuming it is in your budget).  This is a ring that you plan to wear for a LONG time so I’d want to make sure you love it.

    That doesn’t mean you can’t still have and wear your family ring though – there are 9 other fingers! ๐Ÿ™‚

    Post # 12
    3148 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2010

    since the family diamond is smaller than your 6mm dream ring, I vote that you should wait for that amora.   if you have the diamond reset into your dream setting, you might think it’s too small and regret it.  people experience major diamond shrinkage after they get their rings, so if you have the opportunity to go bigger, then do it!

    Post # 13
    1266 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

    Reset the diamond in your dream setting, all the way! I LOVE OEC’s! Antique cut diamonds are so romantic. You can always get the Amora as a right hand ring, and you’ll have double the bling.


    But for an ering, there’s just something so special about this inherited diamond, and it would be something great to keep in the family.


    Go custom on the setting, and have fun with it.

    Post # 16
    1418 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

    I did not vote because I have another opinion!!! I would get the setting you love and get a different stone now, moissanite is at a great price point where you won’t be kicking yourself if you get the amora later. I say leave the family stone as is, since there would be a lot of changes being made to it, since you will be switching it I say leave it as is. Also, another family member might want it the way it is, still holding the sentimental value of keeping it intact. ๐Ÿ™‚

    The topic ‘Can’t make up my mind on ering – help!’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors