(Closed) car wreck, who else has been there, done that?

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
2867 posts
Sugar bee

Contact your insurance company and give them the insurance information for the person who wrecked your car.  They’ll send someone out to view your car and/or tell you go to an auto shop/dealership.  It’ll work out.  They, their insurance company, *might* get you a rental.

Post # 4
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I got rear-ended once and it totaled my car! 🙁 I didn’t get a rental, though. 

Post # 5
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hmmm.  I have been involved in several accidents (all of which were not my fault).  My insurance company wanted proof of the written police report for the accident.  I would call you insurance company ASAP to start working on this!

Post # 6
581 posts
Busy bee

I was involved with someone where a “quasi-report” was issued.  All was fine until he decided to contest the point that was to be charged to his driving  record.  He blamed the road configuration for his failure to stop in time.  Anyway, the three cars he hit, which were stopped at a red light, were repaired or totalled and were covered by his insurance.  We all had to go to court where he asked the judge to drop the point against his record because he was an independent contractor.   The judge complied.  My car was fixed and charged to his insurance, but I lost a day of work for the court appearance.  You may need to front the deductible if the person who hit you doesn’t carry the same insurance.    It depends on your insurance.  I’m sorry this happened to you.

@beekiss2 is right with the reporting information.  Every state is different, but in many cases there is a timetable you must follow for reporting.  Good luck!

Post # 7
2496 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

You’ll be just fine hun!!  It is really scary, but you absolutely did the right thing in calling the cops.  With their documentation, you’ll be fine.

I agree with the other bees — call your insurance company.  They might ask you for a statement and the police report.  I got backed into this spring and I dealt with 1 insurance agent assigned to my case.  I communicated with him regarding all the details, and my insurance company talked to the other person’s insurance company.

I think rental cars are only provided if it’s in your insurance policy, though.  They’ll be able to tell you.  Give them a call and they’ll handle it from there! 🙂

Post # 8
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

you definately need a report – just in case. and just having a report number does NOT cut it. (that can often be just a “CAD” number with no report attached to it) depends on the damage and if the other person’s insurance company wants to be evil.

The topic ‘car wreck, who else has been there, done that?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors