Post # 1
So, I am full of questions today. This is my THIRD thread of the morning and I’m sorry if I’m being a pest. The bees are always a wealth of information so I am hoping I can get some feedback on at least one of my issues!
I have been offered a new job – yay – at my dream company. I am so excited. The hiring manager has asked me to resign my current role as of Friday to allow me to start in mid-September and still give my current company two weeks’ notice.
However, the job offer that I have received is conditional. It is pending the usual formalities such as background checks, reference checks, employment verification, etc. I’m not worried because there is nothing bad in my background.
I feel strange about resigning before I have a final and firm offer though. I have a mortgage to pay and you never know because shit happens! They could pull the offer for changing their minds and I’d be none the wiser.
Anyway – what would you do? Please see the poll and/or comment!
Post # 2
I would go ahead, personally. Assuming there really is absolutely nothing to worry about…most job offers ARE conditional, bc (typically) they haven’t completed everything by the time you get the offer, and in theory anything could still come up. For example, my current job hadn’t finished calling my references yet.
Post # 3
I think it’s odd that they’re telling you when to resign. That would annoy me.
I’m sure most of the written, firm offers I got were actually more conditional, now that I’m thinking about it. I think it’s probably safe to go ahead and resign now.
Post # 4
- Wedding: November 2014 - 11/15/14-Vineyard
Ooo, I’d be hesitant. Honestly I know I would not resign yet until I had a firm offer in hand. I had the same thing happen once and the person doing the checks lagged and it took almost 2 months to get the written offer then another week before starting.
Can you just be honest with the person requesting you resigning, telling them “as much as you would love to, you just don’t feel comfortable resigning without the written offer in hand and signed”? That might speed things up.
Post # 5
As long as there’s nothing in your background that would be an issue, I would go ahead and put in a resignation. As a hiring manager, I always extended firm but conditional offers, because our company drug tested AFTER I decided who to hire. (And yep….occasionally that drug test revoked the offer….). Companies just have to cover their own butts, too.
I think you’ll be safe. Congrats on your new position at your dream company!
Post # 6
somethingblue04: there’s two ways to look at it. If you don’t depend on your income then I would resign now, but if you do depend on income, tell them you want to wait until everything has been cleared and papers have been signed. I have had multiple friends resign and they don’t end up getting the job for one reason or another. It’s basically protecting you
Post # 7
sara_tiara: AprilinTX: There isn’t anything bad in my background that I am aware of. I’ve worked at many large companies and they’ve all done these checks with no issues. I’m just a worrier by nature and until it’s firm, I can’t believe it’s really happening!
CHristine2809: It does annoy me. They really want me to start and I get that but protection needs to work both ways. I don’t ever want to work for my current employer again but I still want to give them proper notice. You never know who you will run into down the line.
MrsTtoB: I am worried that if I raise my concerns to my potential new employer, they will assume there is something to be concerned about and that I have something hidden in my background (which I don’t). I’m leaning towards just giving my current employer a week of notice, which is not ideal but at least protects my future opportunity.
KateriPetrie: I definitely depend on my income to pay my mortgage. If I didn’t, I would retire now and move somewhere warm! That’s my concern…there are so many variables so I need to make sure that I am protected first and foremost.
Post # 8
I have been through this three times and each time the HR person tried to get me to resign at my current company before my background check went through. They do this because they want your start date to be ASAP and nto have to rush the checks on their end. In this scenario they are the only winners while you are making a big sacrifice.
I never agreed to it. I said “once the checks go through I will resign. Then I will start two weeks after that”. Honestly at this point you can demand that they wait because the offer is out to you and they won’t take it back just because you insist on starting a week later than they want you to. And if you try to not give your company a full two weeks notice they will dock you for pay and you might burn bridges. I would call the HR person back and just say that you will resign officially once the checks go through and the offer is no longer conditional.
Post # 9
With respect to reference checks, I would definitely ask them to let you know after they have satisfactorily completed those and not give notice before that point in time.
With respect to background and credit checks, to be honest, I’m not sure that these are always completed before you officially start and I would assume that all is fine unless there is something to worry about.
Employment at will is inherently conditional.
Post # 10
moderndaisy: jamb: This is good advice. I know I don’t want to resign until things are official, but I’m just wondering if I press my new company to delay my start date or I give my current employer less notice. I know it’s got to be one of those two things and I’m not especially comfortable with either option.