Post # 1
- Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider
Good morning, bees!
I haven’t been on in ages, but I remember so many of you giving excellent life/career advice, and I could use some of that right now.
I moved to Canada to live with my wife at the end of July, giving up my job as a dental hygienist in the process. I’ve loved dental hygiene, and have had some amazing opportunities in research and practicing in my dream office, but I have also reached a point where I find myself needing a change (and not teaching or sales). My wife and I agreed that I would study for my Canadian board exam, get my license in Canada (that license is coming through next month), and in the meantime, I would look for other work.
In November, I interviewed for an administrative hospital position that really excited me. The hospital is located about 8 minutes from where I live, the people I would be working with are wonderful (all dog people!), a friend of mine is a nurse in this same hospital, the pay is excellent, and the position would draw on some skills that I acquired as a hygienist. I thought I did well in my interview and written assignment, but I did not make the cut. Afterwards, I recieved a call from the panel that had interviewed me, saying that they were really impressed with my skills, and that I had been their second pick. They informed me that they were short staffed, and they needed an additional person to do the same job that I had interviewed for, but that they couldn’t hire that person until they were given financial approval from the hospital. They estimated possible approval in the new fiscal year, and said that the position would be two years of temporary assignment with a possibility of becoming permanent. This gave me pause: I am in decent enough financial position to wait, but I don’t want to work for two years only to be looking again right after. I promised to meet up with a member of the interview board at the end of January, to discuss the potential position further.
While I waited for January to roll around, I looked into other options. I managed to land myself into the “first pool” for a low-ranking govornment position, less parallel to my previous job than the hospital position, and about 20% less pay, but permanent, and literally around the block from where I live. I will recieve my writing assignment in a week, and would probably interview two weeks after that, so there’s still a high degree of possibility that I won’t get this job anyway, but I would like to be prepared if it is an option.
- 2 year temporary assignment with the possibility of becoming permanent
- 8 minutes from home
- Pleasant coworkers; already have a friend at work
- Better compensation
- Utilizes many of the skills I already have
- Appealing, challenging work
- Permanent position, room for upward mobility
- Around the block from home
- Coworkers are an unknown
- Compensation is ~20% less
- Utilizes fewer of my existing skills
- Less appealing work, but aspects could be interesting
What would you do?
Post # 2
It doesn’t sound like the hosptial job is guaranteed yet, do I understand this correctly? Do you have an offer, in writing from both? Because it doesn’t sound guaranteed, I would take the government job but only that reason. Its not good to switch jobs so soon but in this case, I would lean towards accepting one and moving to the hospital if/when it does open up.
Post # 3
I’m not sure if in Canada it’s the same, but I know plenty of US positions where when they are depentent on funding, it’s normal for jobs to explicitly say one or two years when in fact they still get full benefits.
They just are more open about the risks than private companies who can lay people off at any moment. 20% more per year is significant if you are also getting benefits, and it seems like this is a path that excites you. Who knows what can happen in 2 years, they could get more funding, you could transfer within the organization, or you can leverage the experience to get a better job that has more permanence/mobility.
I think both jobs look really decent on paper actually, so it comes down to what your gut is telling you. Work is not everything but it’s a huge chunk of our lives, it’s much nicer to work in a place where you like the people/culture.
Post # 4
As a PP said, it depends a lot on whether you have an actual job offer from the hospital, or will get one fairly soon. Don’t turn down an actual job for a possible job.
That said, I think it’s generally better to take a two-year temporary job in the field you actually want than a permanent job that’s not really where you want to be. The former gives you experience to get other similar jobs in the future, so it’s still moving you toward your long-term goals.
So, I’d continue with the interview process for the government job and see what actually materializes. If you get a job offer from the hospital, I’d accept it. If you get a job offer from the government, I’d ask for time to think about it and contact the hospital to check your status there. If it gets to the point where you can’t delay accepting the government job any longer, and you still don’t have a hospital offer, then accept the government job.
ETA: I didn’t vote in the poll because it doesn’t really make sense. You go after multiple jobs at the same time until you actually get one. Only after you have multiple offers do you choose one rather than the other.
Post # 5
- Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider
marriedbeeexpecting : Neither position is in writing currently. I am weighing my options so that I do not start one job, only to take another later.
tulipbee : In a way, both positions depend on funding, as the government operates on a budget, and healthcare here is govornment funded. It’s interesting to me that you see the “two year temporary” as more honest – I hadn’t considered that.
BookishBee : Thank you.
Post # 6
Hospital. The pros for that job outweigh the pros for the government job. And 2 years is plenty to get settled and try for a permanent role, OR find a permanent role while still having the contract.