- 5 years ago
- Wedding: February 2015
Bees, I need some input! I’m going to try to just break it down as simply as I can.
I have been working with my current company for right about 3 months.
- The branch I work at is an hour’s drive there and an hour’s drive back. I like where I work, I like the job, I don’t mind the people, but I HATE the drive.
- I work all 5 days a week (6 every other week) even though I’m part time and only get around 25 hours. The amount of money I spend on gas and tolls to get there costs about 5 of those hours every week, so I’m taking home about 20 hours.
- My manager is supportive of me getting promoted and one even wants me to take a promotion to full time right NOW that’s available but I can’t due to school…this seems like it will be the case for the next year while I’m in school. All jobs that would be considered a promotion are full time jobs. My SO & I are planning on moving out of state somewhere when I graduate so I’m left wondering if I’ll get a chance to be promoted at all. I MAY be able to ask my manager to try to fight for a part time position doing what I want to do but it would take at least 6 months to go through (IF he wanted to try to get it approved)
- I don’t get ANY benefits right now since I’m part time.
- I CAN take unpaid days off for vacations I have planned for next year. I have only mentioned one of these vacations since the other isn’t for sure, but my manager doesn’t seem to have a problem with vacations (again, UNPAID =/)
I’ve applied to a position with another company. I haven’t gotten the call for an interview yet but I’m failry confident I will. I just completed an assessment for them last night.
- This job is only about 15 minutes away from work. This would save me around $2500/year in tolls and gas (about 1/4 of what I make in a year!) AND an hour and a half every day. It’s also right next to my college so if I need to leave & go to class, I’ll be there in less than 10 mins.
- The job is kind of a promotion. I would be doing personal banker type stuff but also still working on the teller line. I am ready to be completely off of the teller line so I’m bummed this job still requires teller work BUT if I stayed where I am, I would be doing ALL teller work for the next year.
- From what I’ve read online this job pays more. Maybe as much as 20% more (though I’ll be asking in the interview) I don’t make much so that’s only a couple of bucks but still.
- The new job would have benefits!!!! Health at least, I don’t know about PTO. I plan on asking that. I am hoping for PTO so that I can make sure I’ll be able to go on my vacations next year. Should I mention vacations in the interview??? It IS a deciding factor but I’ve never mentioned any benefits at all in an interview.
- I’ve read online that there’s virtually no growth available with thhis company & going full time is almost impossible. I WOULD be able to go full time if it was at this one specific branch because it’s so close but I would probably not be able to with any other branches due to the drive again. Since we’ll be moving next year, I don’t know if this should even bother me?
- It’s 20 hours a week. ONLY. Everything I’ve read says there’s no going over those 20 hours. I’m going to ask about the schedule, I’m hoping this time it means I’ll actually have days off during the week like every other part time job I’ve ever had…
I’m usually the first one to tell other bees which job to choose, but I guess I just can’t do it when I’m involved =( I could really use some help bees! Which job do you think I should take if I’m offered the other job? I know I’m getting ahead of myself since I haven’t been interviewed yet but I almost always get to the interview stage of these type of jobs due to my work history…I guess if I don’t get an interview, I don’t have to worry anymore lol