Post # 1
My husband and I are looking to take our first vacation together after having baby last August. Looking to do the Caribbean in sept/oct. We have been to Aruba and loved it but want to try something new. Looking for somewhere with beautiful beaches and water, good restaurants, some nightlife, safe and a small town to walk around. Options we came up with are Turks and Caicos, St. Croix, St. John’s, curaçao and st Lucia. Any thoughts or other suggestions ? Thanks !
Post # 2
I would do Turks and Caicos or Bermuda for nice beaches and safety. The others you listed are right in the hurricane zone so that could pose a problem for Sept/Oct. I would not recommend St. Lucia however as it’s a volcanic island and the beaches aren’t the typical white sand/clear water and I did not feel super safe there. lilceeja124 :
Post # 4
We took our honeymoon to Curacao last year and absolutely loved it. We can’t wait to go back and meet up with some of the people that we met down there on our trip.
1. It’s out of the hurricane belt. That was one of the big factors for us, since we originally planned to go to St. Maarten and it was completely destroyed by a hurricane the year prior.
2. It’s also a dutch territory like Aruba, but it has a lot more of the old Dutch influence. Aruba is very westernized: high rise buildings, Mcdonalds on every corner, etc. Curacao still has all the old charm of being a dutch territory with the history, culture, and architecture.
3. The people are seriously the nicest I’ve ever encountered in the Caribbean. We went scuba diving 2 days and also did kite boarding while we were there. Our scuba diving instructor helped to set up the kite boarding for us (with an instructor that we was already using because the one we booked flaked). After kite boarding, we all stopped by a roadside stand for a beer and to hang out. He also drove us around the island a whole bunch and showed us a lot of places that we should visit and cool things to do.
3. The beaches are beautiful! Some of them are public and some are private. We rented a car one day and drove around the island. We stopped at a beach and snorkeled with sea turtles. At another beach, we did a 30ish foot cliff jump into the water. The water is also crystal clear.
4. Willemstad is the main town on the island. There are tons of restaurants, shopping and general exploring to do in the downtown area.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Post # 3
lovetotravel02092017 : I didn’t love St. Lucia either and it was very disappointing because everyone raves about it.
I would recommend St. John or St. Thomas, but as PP said, it’s a bit risky during hurricane season.
Post # 4
Thanks for suggestions ! I should have added Aruba and playa Del Carmen Mexico back in the list. Any one been to those and others listed. What would you choose ?
Post # 5
lovetotravel02092017 : the ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) are rarely hit by hurricanes. The risk is so low that they are where owners of expensive yachts seek safe harbor.
lilceeja124 : I adored Curacao. The beaches are not quite as pretty as other islands, but the snorkeling is world class. There are dozens of small beaches, and each one offers something different (dozens of sea turtles at one, iridescent squid and gorgeous shallow reefs at another, a sunken tugboat teeming in sea life). So if you like to snorkel, I would say Curacao hander’s down. If that is up your alley, I can give you tons of recs for snorkeling, food, etc. Also, it is super safe and the main town is great.
If you want gorgeous beaches, my favorite is Harbour Island in the Bahamas. Pink beaches for days, lovely people, great food, super chill. And about the safest place you could go.
Post # 7
lovetotravel02092017 : I disagree, we go to the Caribbean frequently and St. Lucia was my favorite trip! I felt perfectly safe there and travelled around the island quite a bit. I do agree that hurricane season in Sept/Oct is no joke – OP, I would push your trip to December-February to be safe.