(Closed) Cars when you move overseas

posted 8 years ago in Military
Post # 3
1982 posts
Buzzing bee

You could pay to have it shipped. I know when I worked for a freight forwarding company, the quotes we had were around $1400 for a car container, plus the cost of paperwork and packing.

I would look into selling it if you can, or looking to see how to end a lease. Good luck!

Post # 4
1232 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I’m pretty sure the military will ship them for you… if you want to take them. If not I would definitely sell it.

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Yes the military will pay for that living expense. But, look into where you are moving. Most of my friends stationed overseas do NOT have their American car. They switch to a German car or French car. American cars are HUUUUGE over there. And sometimes you need a new license. It’s best to just start over. And often, if you are on base, you definitely do not need a car. A friend of mine was in Korea and there was just zero need for a vehicle. He could walk everywhere, on post, or in Seoul.

Post # 7
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

My friends have always sold their vehicles before they moved overseas.  Not all American cars are within standards in foreign countries, plus you have to license them etc.

The other option is that you’re moving to a location where the people covet American cars.  In that case, you should ship it oversees THEN sell it (you can get some high prices!).  A buddy of mine did that in Colombia and received double the amount he paid for it just because it was an American car.

Post # 8
3285 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Where are you going overseas?  

Post # 9
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I sold my car when I moved overseas. A good friend of mine ‘leased’ hers to her brother, but after 2 years of making payments she signed over the pink slip to him. Do you know how long you’ll be overseas? If it’s more than a couple years, even if you had somewhere to store it and had it completely paid off (if it’s not being driven you can let insurance and registration lapse, just start them before you ever drive it again), it’s not worth the hassle, IMO.

Post # 10
360 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - Westwind YWCA camp

not all countries will allow you (for diplomatic reasons I think?) to ship a non-new car to their country.

When we moved to chile, we were told that customs would only allow brand-new cars to be imported.

(so we “sold” our car to my parents)

Post # 11
487 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009 - Byodo-In Temple, Luau Reception

I grew up overseas (via military) and unless you really need to get rid of your car (ex. you need a European car/drive on the opposite side of the road), the military will ship your car as part of your moving expense (ie. no cost to you).

Do you know how long you will be overseas? If it’s just for a year or two, I would house it with someone you trust and continue to make payments (since you’ll need the car in 2 years anyways), otherwise I would probably look into selling it.

Post # 12
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

My parents had their car shipped over to England when they moved over there for a couple of years. My mom did say it was odd driving an American truck (because of the other side of the road thing) but it was worth shipping it over because the military paid for it. Also I think one of the reasons they shipped the car is because my mom wanted transportation for my two sisters (they had just started school). I’m guessing a car isn’t really necessary in your case, though.

Post # 14
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

Italy and Germany drive on the same side of the road as we do in the US. The UK, Ireland and some other Commonwealth countries drive on the opposite side.

The topic ‘Cars when you move overseas’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors