- 5 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
This has not happened to me, but it did happen to my friend. Her cat ate a decently long piece of string and he ended up needing surgery. I would encourage you to get the xray ASAP. If it hasn’t moved too far they might be able to try and retrieve it. I think you’re better off going sooner rather than later. Sorry about your kitty 🙁 🙁
My cat has eaten string before, unbeknownst to me until I noticed it dangling out of his butthole a day or so later. It’s happened more than once. I’m not a vet so I have no idea how likely it is that it will pass just fine vs. cause an issue, but I know it’s certainly possible that all will be okay.
ETA: If you do see it coming out of his back door, do not pull it! You can really hurt them that way. Just, you know, keep an eye on it.
“My husband is of the mind that we let him pass it, if he gets sick then we will put him down”
<br /><br />This mindset would be unacceptable to me. If you had a child and they drank antifreeze, would you just shrug it off and be like “If he dies, oh well, we’ll just bury him out back!” I am not of the opinion that “pets are just animals.” They are living and breathing creatures that 100% solely depend on you for care. If you are unable, or unwilling to give them care, do not take in a pet.* If it were my animal, we’d be at the vet right now.
<br /><br />*I am speaking generically, I do not mean to imply that you are unwilling.
Hyperventilate: What did I say in my last sentence…if you are of this opinion to keep it to yourself. My child is a human being and I have one on the way any day now. We DO NOT HAVE THE GODDAMN MONEY FOR IT.
Do you think if I could I would, but I can’t. It has happened at the worst possible time and your comments I have asked to not be shared. You are a cruel person to purposely go against me asking to not hear this opinion because guess what I am putting the financial security of my family and my new baby ahead of my cat who ate string. So I hope you sleep really well tonight with your higher than attitude but not everyone has the money to do this.,
And comparing an animal to a child, nice just real nice touch. [content moderated for name calling]
We have had the means at ANY OTHER TIME and have spent lots of money on him for his various problems. I do not have 1000-2000 right now at this time and thus this issue. Keep your mout shut I asked for your opinion to not be shared but you had to be an asshole and do it anyways.
First off, I didn’t know you have a kid. I don’t follow people around on this website and know who has children and who doesn’t. It was an example. Pets to me are not animals — They are like family. I would move heaven and earth to save my pets (and I have) just like I would a child. Calm down. I mentioned your husband’s remark because to me, that would be an absolutely unacceptable mindset to just shrug it off. If that’s not what you wanted to hear, that really blows but I stand by what I said. Nothing I said was cruel. I gave my own opinion about your situation (that you asked for, I might add) and what I had to say was not what you wanted to hear.
Pets and children are on level grounds to me. You feel differently, and while I vehemently disagree with you, it’s your right to feel that way. If you don’t have the money to take care of your cat, either put it down immediately, give it away to someone who can, or surrender it to a shelter. I would never in my right mind wait for my cat (or any animal) to suddenly be stricken with pain or sickness to put it down. THAT is cruel and it’s unfair to the cat. If that makes me high and mighty, I will absolutely take it. I could never morally let my pets suffer. Not even for a moment. If I have to sell things to take care of my cat or my dog, you bet your bottom I would. I would take out Care Credit. I’d work out payment plans with the vet. I’d absolutely do anything I could to ensure my pet’s well being, just like I would my mother, my husband, my child, or myself.
Honestly my cat used to eat crap all the time without me knowing it until I cleaned the litter box. Ribbon, plastic… You name it he ate it. Keep an eye on kitty to see if he shows any signs of distress, but odd are he will most likely poop it out.
Poor cat. If it does survive, please give him to someone who can afford to properly take care of it, as your last post clearly indicates you will be unable to do so with two children.
Sorry. You don’t get to dictat who does and does not comment. If you didn’t want to hear an opinion you didn’t agree with, or didn’t want to hear for whatever reason, you should have kept it within your family and not brought it to an open forum. I feel badly for your family. I especially feel badly for your cat, and I sincerely hope your cat comes out of this fine.
missjewels: hahahahahah. Finally some balls on this site!! People are SO judgy. I really hope the Cat is okay. I’m sure that you don’t want to have to put the cat down but if you have the money it’s not fair to the cat, or your family! Do what’s best for you!!!!
This makes me sad because sometimes you have to make life choices you know??
OP, you are going to get responses about cats that ate string and ended up pooping it out just fine, and responses about cats that ate string and died. All you’re getting is anecdotes and small little data points in an ocean of possibilities; that is why your vet gave you such a broad range of possible outcomes and potential treatment paths.
If you’re just looking for assurance that your cat is going to be a-ok then you should probably step away from the keyboard and spend more time talking to your husband, because you might not get the answers you want to hear, here on an internet forum.
You really have two choices: cross your fingers and hope everything will work out okay (literally and figuratively), or find money you don’t have right now to get the cat some medical attention. If you want to do the former, I’ll say again, step away from the keyboard and spend more time talking to your husband, because you’re probably going to get a lot of responses here that upset you. If you want to do the latter, you can talk to your vet about a payment plan; contact the local ASPCA who may offer lower-cost vet care; contact local animal rescues who may be able to help find a more affordable vet; borrow money; etc. Lots of options to get the money if that is what you choose to do. Just don’t be surprised when you don’t get a ton of warm-and-fuzzy support from this site if you choose to do nothing, because as a pet owner, you’re supposed to try to do what is best for your animal.
Most vet offices have payment plans, often interest free (CareCredit is one that I’ve Used.). Please get the kitty looked at.
WTH! If you can’t afford to take care of your pet properly, don’t have them. If you can’t afford for a pet’s emergency, just surrender it already. To let a cat simply die what could be a very painful death from string twisting up in his system … well that is just cruel. Take the cat to the SPCA right now. Tell them the cat ate string and you cannot afford surgery, x-rays, etc. and you need to surrender him. More than likely, they will take care of his medical needs and adopt him out.
I get that you have a family and a kid … but that cat is your family, too. He relies on you for food, shelter, and health care … just like your child does. Give him the decency to either properly provide for him or give him to someone who will do it.
Ellicott: Do you really think that they wouldn’t just put the kitty down though if she surrendured it? I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t know if they would let the kitty live when it requires surgery and they have so many other animals to care for.
It seems to me like if you can’t afford to take care of your cat you shouldn’t have multiple children…. but that’s none of my business.
The topic ‘CLOSED’ is closed to new replies.