- 6 years ago
My caterer’s wife has been quite ill the past few months, from what I gather. He had submitted a menu & contract in the spring, and I sent a $500 deposit. I left a phone message on the date specified in the contract to give the final headcount, but did not receive any phone or email response. I called again & left a rather firm message that he communicate with me — this brought a response. I heard from him with a report that his wife is still quite ill. Have not heard from him since. I’m FIVE WEEKS away from the wedding … and my caterer seems to be Missing in Action.
I emailed again yesterday and asked that he contact me WITH the finalized contract by next Friday, August 31. I also stated that if I do not hear from him by that date that I may enlist the services of another caterer and that “I expect a full refund of my $500 deposit.”
Has anyone run into a similar situation — and WHAT DO I DO??? I did find an alternate catering service, a 2-woman team — actually met them in person at a bridal show recently — thank heaven! They know my situation and we’re just waiting for August 31 to come and go. I DO need my $500 deposit back, though!