(Closed) Catholic & Jewish Ceremony- Need recommendations??

posted 8 years ago in Long Island, New York
Post # 3
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Good Luck finding people to do that. I went on interfaith family.com and there are only 2 rabbis in the NYC metro area listed that will do a service with a priest. There were only about 12 rabbis that would do an interfaith service with just the rabbi doing it. I found one from the list  who agreed to it only if it were a pure Jewish wedding and no priests at all.

Post # 4
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My rabbi would definitely be willing to do an interfaith ceremony, and he’s actually married to a reverend! His name is Rabbi Roger Ross and his website is lovingheartsceremonies.com. He did an AMAZING job at our wedding and I highly recommend him! He might have some ideas of Catholic priests who would be willing to do it as well. 

Post # 5
1184 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@Lisamr: i found plenty of rabbis that weren’t listed on IFF but were way more flexible than what you describe. i know the rabbi hilsy mentioned will co-officiate. rabbi schweitzer (http://www.secularjewishceremonies.net/weddings.html) will also do an interfaith wedding. finding an interfaith officiant was one part of wedding planning that was much better done through word of mouth than through finding someone online. our rabbi was recommended by a friend and is wonderful, but he’s not listed online on IFF or anywhere else, so we never would have found him if we didn’t start asking around.

Post # 8
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We are having just a rabbi and like I said it was hard to find one that would do an interfaith marriage, I was very upset when my childhood rabbi would not do it but, I see the point I myself am going againsit something I have belived in for years that mixed marriage is not right but I moved to some where where there are barely any jews. I would never be marrying out of faith if I still lived in NY because I would never have dated out of religion there. With that said my Fiance is not religious so his family and him did not care about a minister being there or not. I don;t know about catholic prists but after going to the Vatican they seem to have lots of rules. We are going to include one luteran ritual and the rest will be Jewish.

Post # 9
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@sagbride: Sorry, I don’t know anything about Catholic priests, but at least you know on the Jewish side you’ll definitely be able to find someone. 

Post # 10
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I don’t think that you will find a Catholic priest that will co-officiate, especially at an outdoor wedding. In order for a Catholic wedding to be performed outside a church you have to have special circumstances and get permission to do so. What I would suggest is having a Jewish ceremony, presided over by a rabbi, and maybe add a few Catholic touches (readings, music) and then have a blessing done by a Catholic priest after. There are other Catholic bees here that probably have more specific information for you.

The topic ‘Catholic & Jewish Ceremony- Need recommendations??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors