(Closed) Catholic Church Issues

posted 10 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
2434 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Yikes.  I got married in NY and took the marriage prep course in MA.  We got a certificate of completion in MA and brought it to the priest in NY.

Did you get any completion certificate?  Can you take it to the archdiocese yourself?  Or directly to the priest?  Have you called the archdiocese?

Ask your priest what the worst case scenario is.  I don’t see why you can’t just present proof that you took the class (even if it’s a note from the priest in MN).

I think it will work out in the end- just make some phone calls and hopefully people will take pity on you and help get it worked out!

Good Luck!

Post # 5
1379 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

Not sure how you’re communicating with them but phone calls are really the way to go in this sitaution. If you’re dealing via email it’s hard to show the uuuuurgency!!! So I’d suggest a phone call with a deadline "I need this by xx date" once you give a deadline it usually makes people move a little quicker.

Good luck!   


Post # 6
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I second the phone-call or in-person approach. We did our marriage prep in Maryland and got married in Georgia, and showing our certificate to the priest in GA was all we needed to do. If you do give them a "need-by date," make sure it’s at least a week earlier than the date you really need it by! Good luck!

Post # 9
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Oh goodness, I would hate for you to give up on the church this far in advance. Can you not re-take the classes, worst case?

Post # 10
2640 posts
Sugar bee

Who actually conducted the class?  Could you get in touch with them to have them fill out the paperwork again?  If you don’t personally have their number, maybe you could get it from the church.  Or have the church leave them a message.  Also my experience with working in a church is that almost anyone who is doing something (committees. sacrament prep, whatever) is that they all have a mailbox.  You could leave a note there.  If you have some kind of directory, you could try to find their info there (phone, e-mail.)

Also, yes, check to see if there is pre-cana class you can take in one day.  My pre-cana was a long Saturday, one shot deal.  It isn’t the best, but you could then actually go to WI to get it done.  Maybe the WI priest could help you with this. 

I’m sorry you’re having this difficulty.

Post # 12
364 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Perhaps you could go to the man you took classes from in your home locale and sit down and call WI with him there.  Maybe his voice (literally) in the mix would help resolve the situation faster.  It might be a pain to take off work and schedule the call but it might work out better?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Post # 13
347 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Have you talked to a priest in person where you’re currently living about this situation?

My FH and I are having issues right now with getting his confirmation certificate.  The parish he was confirmed claims to have lost the record, and the priest who oversaw his RCIA and confirmation (this was about 5 years ago) past away.

We’re not trying to see if the Arch Diocese has the record.  If not, I’ve been told we’d need to get an affidavid with the witnesses of his confirmation that they witnessed a Catholic Confirmation.  Other then that, we can only think he would have to be conditionally confirmed.  He’s talked to a priest he at the parish he goes to Mass at regularly though and I don’t think a conditional confirmation will be necessary.

But now I’m just determined that whenever my kids get the sacraments, that I request a copy of the certificate and keep it on file for myself.


The topic ‘Catholic Church Issues’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors