(Closed) Catholic/Protestant Wedding

posted 12 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
754 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

From what I understand about the Catholic faith, you can incorporate any aspects of the Church that you want, but if you aren’t being married in a Catholic church by a Catholic priest, your marriage does not exist.

Post # 4
48 posts
  • Wedding: January 2020 - catherdral ceremony/private club reception

Actually, that’s not entirely true.  The Catholic church won’t recognize the marriage until it’s convalidated.  It’s not a super-easy process, and I’m not sure of every requirement, but if you want to make sure that the chuch acknowledges the marriage, it just may be worth it!

Post # 5
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

Wow, never heard the word convalidated before, but I know many who have done it.  Basically it’s just another wedding before a priest.  All the requirements for a normal wedding are there, the only difference is it is taking place after another non-catholic wedding- so- same difference to me.

Post # 6
41 posts
  • Wedding: June 2008

Agreed with the posters above — you’ll basically have to have a second wedding, in a Catholic church and celebrated with a Catholic priest, for the Church to recognize your marriage.

But if you just want a Catholic "feel" to your ceremony…I guess you could see if there are any hymns you like and try to incorporate them.  Or maybe have a moment when you sing a hymn to Mary or lay flowers at a statue of Mary?  Really, I don’t think there are a lot of aspects of a Catholic wedding that differ from most other Christian ones besides the priest and the church!  My husband’s family is Anglican and I don’t think they found anything unfamiliar in our Catholic ceremony.

 Of course, some cultures that are historically Catholic have traditions that might seem Catholic, but usually they’re more associated with a country or ethnic group rather than the Church.

Post # 7
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

Found this in my church bulletin this week:

A radical sanation is the means by which the Catholic Church grants validity to an invalid marriage without a liturgical ceremony (canon 1161). The words mean “a healing at the root." When people think of a Catholic wedding, they normally imagine an elaborate ceremony in church. That remains the best way for two people to marry. However, in some rare circumstances the Catholic Church convalidates an existing marriage, not with the liturgy but with paperwork. The most common situation involves a couple who contracted a civil marriage.


For example, consider the case of a Catholic woman who marries a man from another Christian faith without procuring the proper permission from the competent Catholic authority (canon 1117). By doing so, she is not permitted to receive communion in the Catholic Church. If, after some years, she decides that she would like to return to the sacraments, a priest or deacon may convalidate the marriage through a ceremony conducted in church. (If previous marriages are involved, annulments would have to be obtained first.) In this sample case, however, suppose that the husband says he prefers not to go through a ceremony again. For him, the marriage was valid, and a second ceremony would seem superfluous if not offensive to the consent he already gave. In this case, the wife may request a radical sanation of the marriage

When the appropriate papers have been assembled, the Catholic Church affirms the validity of the marriage from its beginning. The Catholic party may then return to communion. A parish priest or another minister should be able to help the parties in this situation. It is one of the ways that the Catholic Church affirms the importance of marriage as a foundation in our society

Paul Turner, pastor of 51. Munchin Parish in Cameron, Mo., holds a doctorate in sacramental theology from Sant’ Anselmo University
in Rome.


Post # 8
2 posts

While the above information on convalidation is correct, it isn’t your only option. If you have enough time, and are willing to do things a certain way, you could possibly get permission to have a priest at the ceremony at your FI’s church.

Time to break out church law, just for fun:  

<p align=”justify”>Canon 1118.1 A marriage between catholics, or between a catholic party and a baptised non-catholic, is to be celebrated in the parish church. By permission of the local Ordinary or of the parish priest, it may be celebrated in another church or oratory.<p align=”justify”>Canon 1118.2 The local Ordinary can allow a marriage to be celebrated in another suitable place.<p align=”justify”>Canon 1118.3 A marriage between a catholic party and an unbaptised party may be celebrated in a church or in another suitable place.<p align=”justify”>Canon 1119 Apart from a case of necessity, in the celebration of marriage those rites are to be observed which are prescribed in the liturgical books approved by the Church, or which are acknowledged by lawful customs.

So basically, things typically happen a certain way, but it’s possible to get permission to marry a Protestant outside the Church and have the Church recognize the marriage from the very beginning. You’re right to talk with the priest.  

The topic ‘Catholic/Protestant Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors