CBD for cats?posted 1 year ago in Pets
- 1 year ago
Just wanted to share a quick update. The results from the pathologist came back and they did find cancerous cells in the sample our primary vet took from the mass in his nose, but they can’t tell what type of cancer it is from that sample…which means he’d have to be subjected to more anesthesia and more testing to figure it out. Frustrating!
Anyway, we decided we’d go see the cat oncologist and get some more testing done to find out exactly what we’re dealing with an go from there. When we first got the news that Steve may have cancer, I didn’t imagine we’d even go to the oncologist…I just figured we’d focus on trying to make him comfortable for whatever time he has left rather than subjecting him to more pokes and prods. But now that it’s come to this, dh and I can’t imagine just throwing in the towel quite yet, so, to the cat oncologist we go.
In the meantime, I’m feeling pretty pessimistic. I feel like his overall health has taken a drastic plunge even in just the last week, which makes me really concerned about how aggressive this cancer is. For example, he used to go hang out in the basement (where dh’s studio is) with dh a lot, but he hasn’t done that at all in the last 4-5 days. Lately he just sticks to his one spot on the couch, with occasional trips to the food/water bowls and litter box. It’s like he doesn’t have the energy to go up and down the stairs anymore. Also, his nose is suddenly crooked, something dh and I didn’t even notice until the vet pointed it out to us…it was not crooked three weeks ago at his last appt. That’s because the tumor has grown to the point that it’s affecting his bone structure. 🙁
Please send good vibes for Steve!
- 1 year ago
tiffanybruiser : Really sorry to hear poor Steve is ill. It is really hard when your fur babies are ill and can’t tell us what is wrong or would make them feel better.
Our cat Mrs Norma Bates had nasal cancer. It basically ate away at her nose which is why we made the decision to put her to sleep. It was pretty horrible. She also developed hyperthyroidism during this time. Our other cat has this so we recognised it right away. Definitely get the vet to check for that and to check renel function as well. CBD has only just become legal medically for humans here so we didn’t have that option for Mrs Bates.
I know you probably don’t want to hear this since you stated that you and your partner aren’t ready to throw in the towel yet but I think it is worth saying. Cats are incredibly stoic. They do not show pain easily so by the time us humans notice they are in pain, it is usually pretty bad. This was the best advice a vet ever gave me. So whilst you may not be ready to throw in the towel it might be worth considering the quality of life and discomfort that Steve might be in.
Sending you hugs because this situation is the worst.
- 1 year ago
@j_jaye, thanks bee and so sorry to hear about your kitty. Yeah, we definitely don’t want him suffering and that’s great advice your vet gave you. But I know we’ll regret it if we don’t at least meet with the oncologist, get the ct scan done and figure out what we’re dealing with. It’s just brutal…2 days ago we thought we were dealing with an annoyingly persistent sinus infection, and now we’re seeing an oncologist and wondering if Steve will even be around in a few weeks or months. 😞
- 12 months ago
Just wanted to give another update on Steve in case there’s anyone out there facing a similar situation with their pet. We had our consult with the oncologist who basically told us that no matter what type of cancer it is (lymphoma or carcinoma), the treatment would be radiation, which would be about $10k. We slept on it for a couple nights and in the end, decided not to pursue any further testing or do the radiation and instead are treating him with steroids and CBD oil derived from marijuana leaves, which I am sourcing from a contact in a state where it’s legal. This shit isn’t cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than radiation. We’re considering it our Hail Mary.
Steve has now been on the oils (three different types) for a little over a week and we’re slowly increasing the dose as per our instructions from the provider. So far haven’t noticed much change in him…but we’ll see. He’s def more lethargic than he used to be a few months ago, but still eats regularly and enjoys his usual hangouts around the house and interacting with us, so I take comfort in that.
If anyone else out there has treated your pet with CBD oil I’d love to hear about your experience!