(Closed) Census 2010!

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My husband was totally excited about the census.  Until we got it and pretty much all you listed was your name and age.  He thought it was more involved than that (so did I actually).  He was disappointed. 🙁

Post # 4
1566 posts
Bumble bee

Yea, I was kind of excited too…except it really wasn’t a very involved process. I was also expecting more questions. 

Post # 5
5498 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I thought it was more involved too! lol. I had never done one before! I was also sad because we’ll be listed as single and living in Portland for the next ten years when we’re moving away AND getting married in a few months. lol.

Post # 6
1560 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Haha we had the exact same thing yesterday! I giggled and said “Look! We’re making an impact!” He smiled and said “Good job honey”. He thinks it’s hilarious that I get so excited about little things. I also jumped up and down about the sun shining today 😉

Post # 8
2513 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

While it was kind of exciting for ME apparently it wasn’t so for hubby. He was in a MOOD while he was filling out that form, and wanted to know why “American” is not considered a race while “Chinese” is a race, “Vietnamese” is a race, “Mexican” is a race and so on. He said that the names of each of those races represent the countries that they are from and was seriously going on and on and on about it and irritating me to no end. He wondered why there wasn’t a box for “American” only “Caucasian” LOL. I didn’t know what to tell him except to fill the freaking thing out and stop talking about it. So he went ahead and checked the box for “Caucausian” and then in the little boxes for “other” race he wrote HUMAN.

LOL! He can be VERY stubborn and QUITE the smart “you-know-what”.

Note: Hubby is by no means racist, he was more or less poking fun at the govt.

Post # 9
2208 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

@okqueenbee: I used to do a lot of research for a professor using census data, and in some regions of the country, like 20% of people list their race as American.

Race is a construct that doesn’t actually have a lot of meaning, but if anything American would seem to mean American Indian.

Post # 10
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I jumped up and down and clapped my hands when the census stuff arrived. Fiance agreed–we’re political scientists and a lot of what we teach ebout is affected by the census.

Post # 11
2513 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

@ monitajb – Until he brought it up, it wasn’t really anything I ever thought about, but he said that he was truly insulted about it. He also said that he actually didn’t like the fact that they asked about race at all, since we are all part of the HUMAN race.

*sigh*

Post # 12
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - Anthony’s Fine Dining

I was excited too 🙂

Post # 13
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I filled it out and I thought it was very anti-climatic.  But a civic duty none the less.  I filled it out as a married even though we are not married yet.  We get married in September and the government will view us married the whole year regarding taxes… why not the census.

Post # 14
2208 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

@ okqueenbee: I can see his point, and he shares it with a lot of people. I think it is one of those things where it has been asked since the beginning, and never got taken off. If anything, social scientists would love MORE info, because it is such a useful database for research. So basically, some of the people who actually use the info would scream if it had even less info.

By The Way, just in case anyone doesn’t know, your name is not part of the data when it gets published for use.

Post # 15
2408 posts
Buzzing bee

i read they changed the form a lot since the last census so maybe they streamlined it? i thought it was going to be more but actually kind of relieved it wasn’t since i had to fill it out for my parents. made it a lot easier and i didn’t have to ask them any questions. haha

Post # 16
2532 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I was excited to fill out my census too but I was a little upset that I didnt get to put that Im married! We will be married close to 10 years by the time we get to put that on there! Fiance does not care for the census because he is a hardcore libertarian and apparently the libertarian party doesnt agree with the census

The topic ‘Census 2010!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors