(Closed) Ceremony & reception in different locations?

posted 11 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
259 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Our church won’t even do receptions in the fellowship hall anymore, so we didn’t really have a choice. Our reception venue is about 20 minutes away and it is really not that uncommon for a church wedding at all.

Post # 4
Bee
915 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Al Cielo / La Laguna

This is very common.  I can only think of one wedding I attended where they were in the same location.  The rest had up to a 30 minutes drive.

Post # 5
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

We are doing the same thing. I think the church and reception hall are about 15 min apart (i haven’t been to either yet!)  I’m a little concerned too cause the latest the church would do the ceremony is 3:30 and reception is at 6.  Most wedding I have been to have been ceremony in the church and recption at a different location. Don’t worry!

Post # 6
420 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

no its not uncommon at all!!  probably more common actually.  all the weddings i’ve been to have had 2 locatins, mainly because the ceremony was at the church and didn’t have a large space for the reception.  my reception site will be a few minutes away from the church as well.  10 minutes so most of your guests will probably go!  that house is gorgeous by the way, congrats!

Post # 7
521 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I’d really never heard of having your reception at the church until I started looking at wedding webpages.  I’d always just heard of having them in ballrooms.  So it’s very common.

Post # 8
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

Its extremely common for people that chose to get married in a church.  

We’re getting married in a church and having our reception about 5 miles away.  

Post # 9
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

It’s VERY common! I’m actually finding that it seems to be almost more common to have them at different locations than at the same location. Definitely nothing wrong with it!

Post # 10
272 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think it’s very common to do the reception at another place.  We are.  And I think every wedding I have ever been to has been that way.  Also, I love that you want to get married in the church that’s important to you.

Post # 11
1718 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2008 - Winery in the Gold Country

Super common and usually not a problem at all for guests, esp. if they’re driving to the wedding anyway! I’ve traveled 20 miles between a church and a reception and didn’t think much of it at all… anything more than that is sometimes a little dicey, but it all depends on traffic, day, etc. but a 10 minute communte between ceremony and reception is totally normal!

Post # 12
10216 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

It is extremely common, and 10 minutes is very reasonable for your guests to travel! 

Post # 13
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’ve actually never been to a wedding where they both were in the same location!  We once had to drive about 45 minutes between the church and reception site.  I think that was the farthest and that kind of sucked.

We selected our church based on the fact that it was close to the reception site (and we’re not members of any church in the city that we’re getting married in).  I think that as long as you think about your guests and make the transition as easy as possible, it’s completely fine.  Oh and make sure to include maps/directions :o)

Post # 14
1230 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

That’s a really common thing to do. In fact, that’s what my Fiance and I are doing. We are having our ceremony in the chapel at my college and the reception is going to be in a mansion down the road from the school. I agree that it might not be the best idea to have your ceremony and reception really far away from each other, but 10 minutes is not a big deal at all!

Post # 15
4566 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Totally common! We’ll be doing the same thing since we want a big party… while we could do it at the church, there are some awesomely beautiful places in lexington to have parties, so I’d like to take advantage. Except our drive will be more like 30 minutes.

Post # 16
245 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2007 - Rosary Chapel & Monterey Marriott, Monterey, CA

Just as everyone said… it’s incredibly common! The only time I haven’t “travelled between” is when someone IS NOT getting married at a church and they have it all at a location instead.

We selected our reception venue on ease of transport for our guests from the ceremony location, as it was the chapel that was the most important element of the day. There were lots of locations we would have loved to use, but a 30+ minute confusing drive was not something we wanted to hamper our guests with on our wedding day.

The topic ‘Ceremony & reception in different locations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors