(Closed) chalkboards, frames, DIY questions & poll

posted 8 years ago in Decor
  • poll: Should I use chalkboards, frames, or both??
    chalkboards only : (7 votes)
    37 %
    frames only : (0 votes)
    use both! : (12 votes)
    63 %
  • Post # 3
    4137 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

i would stick with the chalkboards to keep it cohesive. they are SO easy to make! you just need scraps of wood or molding and a can of chalkboard spray paint.

Post # 4
    1944 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

I just made a chalkboard for my kitchen. Just find some cheap picture frames or mirrors (I think I got mine at Walmart and its a long one for $8, mind you not the size you want) and Michaels or Lowes/Home Depot have the Chalkboard spray paint. Take out the glass/plastic, clean it on both sides and spray away. Thats it! I looked on Etsy before too and it is ridiculous what they charge for seeing you can do it for 1/3 of the cost.

Post # 5
    3254 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

You can also get plain wood-framed chalkboards at Michaels for really cheap!

Post # 6
    46590 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

You can buy your frames at the dollar store and  spray paint them white. If you want the shabby chic look, you then sand off some of the paint on the edges where natural wear would occur.

Buy a can of black spray chalkboard paint  and use it to spray the glass if the frame comes with it or a piece of fibreboard.

Here’s a cute extension of that idea for bride and groom chairs:

Here’s a DIY  http://www.elegala.com/go/unveiled/461/

Post # 7
    3364 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I love the idea of white framed chalkboards, and you can take a piece of sandpaper to roughen it up a bit! =)

Post # 8
    711 posts
    Busy bee

I am in the midst of doing this project. I bought a kit at A.C. Moore, incidentally, saw it later at Michael’s for 3$ cheaper, what the hell??? Anyway, I first bought three frames from the flea market for 5$ (I’m cheap, can you tell?). Then I bought raspberry spray paint, crackle gloss, and a vintage painting kit in ivory. I am trying out three different styles to see what I like best.

But it’s GREAT to know you can use the chalkboard paint on glass! I was wondering if I would have to get a piece of wood and cut it and all that, but I am definitely going to try painting the glass first.

Post # 9
    4582 posts
    Honey bee

@brideatbeach: I was looking for these the other day and couldn’t find them. What section should I look in at Michael’s?

The topic ‘chalkboards, frames, DIY questions & poll’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors