Post # 1
So this isn’t for me but my husband.
Some background. I’m self employed with no benefits or paid leave and I’m expecting baby number 3 in December. At that time I will lose 1/4 of my income till September 2020. I make modest money and I’m saving like crazy till the baby comes.
My husband applied for a new job to multiple places last year and started working at a new job 3 months ago. He likes the work he does but it can be dull. The money is decent and his boss seems to treat her employees well. He can work from home once a week or even just because like if the weather is bad. He will qualify for 35 weeks parental leave (we’re in canada) when the baby comes which is huge as I will need time to recover from my c-section. When he takes his leave he will only take home 55% of his income but we can make it work. He is unsure how much of a pay increase he will get over time working there. He is guessing being maxed out 10-15 thousand more than he makes now. Maybe.
So he recently got a call for another job opportunity. This is a government job. He was originally told the position was indeterminate but the letter of offer was only for 6 months. He emailed the manager and told her this was not what he was originally offered and was hesitant to sign. She asked to call him and over the phone said that the job was 99.9% indeterminate but because of the process they had to go through he had to do the contract first. If he accepts we will not have any benefits the first three months. He won’t qualify for parental leave till August next year but the time he takes off he will be topped up to 95% of his income. The pay right now would equal about the same bit with the government job he would get a pension. He would also make 15-20 thousand more in 5 years. But that’s if the job actually becomes indeterminate as there is no contract or written guarantee.
Worst case scenario is he doesn’t get the job long term and he goes on unemployment (which is almost the same as being on maternity/paternity leave) for awhile till he finds a job. If we are strapped for cash there are other options but he’d be at square one and we wouldn’t be making much money.
I don’t know what advice to give my husband. If he gets in the government there is more opportunity to even move around and make 30+ thousand more a year than what he makes now. But the security of his current job is making me hesitant to go for it. Also he has to make a decision over the next 2 days :S
Post # 2
This is tricky; especially because of the parental leave and benefits he’ll be losing..
But I will say that the temporary contracts are VERY common with the government positions. My Fiance and I recently had the same situation (minus me being pregnant). He was working a very well paying camp job but he was unhappy there. The hours sucked, being away from home every 2 weeks was exhausting and he was just fed up with the job.
He applied for a job with the city (also in canada) and was offered a position. The position is EXACTLY what he wants. Home all the time, great benefits and pension, tons of room for advance. The downfall? Its a 4 month contract and the pay sucks for those 4 months. He was told “most people continue to full time positions”. Most being around 95%. So he took the job, the benefits outweighed the risks.
So its a tough call to make. Make a pro/con list, go over the various scenarios and make a decision. If he is unhappy in his current job and the new job is what he wants for his career then it may be worth the risk
Post # 3
kimmacph : UPDATE: medical coverage starts right away but dental is after 3 months.
Thing is he doesn’t hate his job. Its overall ok. But he’s worried about losing the opportunity with this position. Yet he doesn’t want to make the wrong call. The thought of making more money long term and a pension is appleaing but it’s tricky with a baby on the way and two other kids.
He wouldn’t get parental leave till the baby was 8 months and i have to go back to work after 3 weeks. The parental leave would be nice but that’s just a short term benefit.
This is such a hard decision and my husband is so torn. I think if I pushed for one way or the other he would do it but I cant say what is best.
Post # 4
milksteak : Yeah I was wondering about the medical; my FIs started right away as well. The majority of government/city positions do turn into full time careers so it depends how much you are willing to gamble. Would they be willing to give him a few weeks off around baby’s birth? I’m sure they could work something out.
It sounds like there is alot of room for growth in the new position, not so much in the current one
Post # 5
kimmacph : he was open about when we are having the baby and taking time off. He gets 3 weeks vacation right away so he could use that and just wait till he can take parental leave next August. It’s still all a gamble because he’s going on their word vs having a contract for going full time.
Post # 6
What’s your plan for childcare if your husband doesn’t get his leave until 8 months have passed? Do you have parents who will take care of the child for those 6 months?
Post # 7
BookishBee : I work from home so I can care for the baby and work. It’s just a little tough getting through the sleepiness nights and getting up for a full 10 hour work day and recovering from the c-section the first few weeks. We do have family that can help also if really needed. It was just really nice to have my husband home last time. I know people in the states have it tougher as they only get 6 weeks maternity leave and parents make it work.