(Closed) Change of name question

posted 5 years ago in Names
Post # 3
9115 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Here in Oklahoma I had to sign my chosen after marriage name on the certificate before we got married.

Depending on where you live and what the state’s requirements are, you may need to decide before you get married. I signed my certificate, with my new married name about three days before I got married.

Post # 4
2157 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Depends where you live. I am in Canada and I didn’t change my name until after the wedding.  I had to have the marriage certificate as prove in order to change my name for things like my drivers license and bank account.

Post # 5
4 posts
  • Wedding: August 2013

I also have to wait until our marriage is certified before I can change my name … Take about ten weeks after you are married 

Post # 6
3256 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@leahthehun:  It is totally different depending on where you live.  In most of Canada, as a PP said, the marriage certificate serves as a change of name, and a woman can use either her married name, or her maiden name, after that.  She can switch back and forth at will.  My wife is American, so I know it’s different there.  In Canada, if you want to hyphenate, you have to go through the process of a legal name change, and would have to do that again if you ever wanted to change it back.

In Quebec, the government has switched to women using their birth names only, for legal purposes.  My godmother’s mother (who I think is a widow) had to switch back to her maiden name on her driver’s licence, etc., after using her married name for 50+ years, much longer than she had ever gone by her maiden name.


Post # 7
1956 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I had to change my name afterwards. The celebrant told me to sign my maiden name, then change it over after I got my marriage certificate.

The topic ‘Change of name question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors