Post # 1
Fiance and I both LOVE our ceremony site and reception venue. It was such a headache to reserve our locations in the first place as they are both very popular locations.
The problem is that we recently found out that there is a big event in our city the day after the wedding that many people from all over the country travel in for. 90% of our guests are from out of town. We are concerned that the airfare and hotel rates are going to be much more expensive than normal.
The reception venue coordinator told us 2 months ago that they only had 4 available Saturdays between April and August next year. Right now we are not even sure they would have the other 3 weekends available. Plus 2 of the dates fall on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day weekends. The last weekend would be August 2013 which is 2 months after our original wedding date… We are not willing to change the locations as they are perfect for our wedding and we already paid the ceremony site fee in full and put down the deposit on the reception venue.
Do you think we should change our wedding date? Fiance doesn’t think it’s a big deal since guests will have plenty of notice (STDs go out in November and most of our guests already know the wedding date and location). His brother was able to get a very reasonable airfare last minute during that event weekend this year.
Post # 3
I voted no. There’s always going to be something going on and it sounds like you’re very happy with the original date and that other dates are limited. I highly doubt that anyone will notice the higher fares/tariffs if indeed they do get hiked up (and they may not), people who want to be there will be there regardless. If you’re still concerned I suggest checking that the other dates are still available, you might find that the decision has been made for you if theyre all booked up.
Post # 4
@ladyartichoke: Thank you! You’re right people who want to be there will be there. I wouldn’t miss my best friend’s or sister’s wedding no matter what.
Post # 5
Plus, if you get a block of rooms at a hotel, they may have to lock in a certain rate for you. That’s what we were told when we set them up for our wedding. No matter what was going on, as long as people booked by a certain date, they would be guaranteed that rate.
Post # 6
Do not change it! It sounds like you are very planned and are going to give them plenty of notice so they can make all the proper accomodations. If they wait til the last minute and have to pay alot, that is their fauly, not yours. 🙂
Post # 7
It’s going to be tempting to make changes as you go along and discover conflicts and problems, but you really just have to stick to your original plan and blow right through them. As LadyArtichoke said, there will always be something. If you bob and weave to avoid conflicts, you’ll end up all over the place, and this is all stressfull enough!
I say hold your date. If it’s too expensive, they won’t come, which is sad, but there will always be people who can’t make it, no matter when it is.
Post # 8
I’ll tell you what, we are Californians and were married at a fairly popular location as well on Labor Day Weekend, and it all worked out okay. I think what’s important for you if you’re concerned is looking into hotels that you can reserve “blocks” at a special wedding rate for your guests, so that you can try to cut as much “cost” for them as possible as they travel to your wedding. I’m definitely voting “no!”
Post # 9
Thank you ladies!! I was so worried about being inconsiderate. This makes me feel so much better about our date.
Keepsmiling 19 & Pengoala – good point about the hotel block. We’ll start looking into that right away.