(Closed) Changing last name & travel

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
5572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@dani ddha:I can help you with question #2! I changed my name with the social security dept and the DMV in the middle of July. We flew to Ohio the first week of September. The DMV will give you a temporary with a picture on it. When we flew I took my old driver’s license, our marriage license that had both my maiden and married names on it and my temporary. It seemed like a hassle but it actually wasn’t that bad and I didn’t have any problems! Good luck 🙂


Post # 4
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

You need a photo ID to fly in your current legal name, which has to match your boarding pass. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

I sent my marriage license and old passport to get my new passport and they mailed it back in the same condition.  It’s not that hard to get a new one in case you don’t get it back.

When I got my new driver’s license, the temporary paper one did not have a photo on it.

If I were you I would try to travel with your maiden name and your old documentation.

Post # 5
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

You can submit a certified copy of the marriage license for a new passport (I just sent our original in) you can get it expedited if you NEED a photo ID, you would need fast shipping there too since it’s in Philly

Post # 6
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m in the process of changing my name as well (mostly done! just waiting for my passport and license to come in.) 

I’m pretty sure for the passport you can also mail a certified copy in place of an original.  So if you are hesitant about mailing an original, you can go to the town hall where you got your marriage license and get a certified copy from them. 

In either case, before you mail off your marriage certificate, I would make a copy of it and bring it with you to the airport.  Do you have a picture ID with your old name?  If you have your marriage certificate to document your name change, I think a picture ID with your old name and then documentation of your name change might fly (haha, no pun intended.)

The topic ‘Changing last name & travel’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors