(Closed) Changing last name + Changing state of residence – which did you do first?

posted 9 years ago in Legal
  • poll: Where would/did you start?
    Change your name first, in Michigan (wedding), and then change your residence with your new name. : (4 votes)
    40 %
    Change your residence first, and then change your name in DC (where we live). : (2 votes)
    20 %
    It's possible to do both at once (with the government) : (4 votes)
    40 %
  • Post # 3
    2360 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

    You can do both at the same time – I moved about 2 weeks before the wedding, and they told me to just wait to get a new license with my new name and address after the wedding when I have the marriage certificate and it would actually be cheaper.  Badda bing – two birds!

    Post # 4
    504 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

    I’d do both at the same time. That way you won’t be backtracking and will know what’s been done already. I’m an encore bride and in the past I typed a general letter and sent it out to my doctor’s offices, credit card companies, membership accounts, etc. It just had on there that the following info has changed to acct# ? and to please update your records. Then I took an afternoon and ran by the dmv, bank and social security office to get that changed. I was done. Some companies may require a copy of the marriage license and if so they will probably just contact you back.

    Post # 6
    126 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

    I had a friend who lived and was married in GA, then moved to SC with her husband. She changed everything at once in SC.


    Another friend was married in MD, lived in DC, and moved with husband post-wedding to MD. She also changed everything at once in DC.


    I was married in MI, lived in SC, and moved to another place in SC with my husband. I changed my name and address at the same time.


    I’d be willing to bet you can do it all at the same time ๐Ÿ˜€


    Congrats on your marriage!!!

    Post # 7
    2373 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2008

    I just moved from Michigan to Virginia ๐Ÿ™‚

    Dont  you need to live in a place a certain number of months before you can change your license at the DMV?

    Post # 8
    52 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2009

    i would change your name with social security while in michigan, then do the rest in DC

    Post # 9
    499 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

    You’re going to get a new license anyway so it doesn’t make sense to do those things one at a time. Do them all at once and then you won’t have a name change card and you won’t have to make two trips to the DMV.

    You can change your name with Social Security now though. Do that before you get a license with your new name. It’s much easier that way.

    @maureen9004: No you don’t need to live in a place for any prescribed length of time before getting a license there. You only need to have the proper documentation to prove you now reside in the state. In fact, most states actually give you a time limit on getting your new license after you move. In MD, you have 3 months to switch your car over. If you wait longer, you incur penalities.

    Post # 12
    5398 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

    Yes, start with Social Security and then DMV.

    For me, I didn’t change my name for almost a year.  We were in the middle of house hunting and I wanted to have the address of our new house on my driver’s license, so I didn’t change my name until we closed on the house.  Then, at the same time I was able to change my name and address.  I think you shouldn’t have any trouble doing both at the same time and it will probably be a lot easier to kill two birds with one stone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Post # 13
    499 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

    Social Security doesn’t care what state you’re in so no worries. You can do it all from DC. Just make sure you have an official copy of your wedding certificate with a rasied seal on it. The one you were handed on your wedding day is not going to do the trick.

    Post # 15
    18628 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

    If you don’t want to change your name fully first, then don’t.  I went to the SSA and changed my name on my SS card but I waited for the driver’s license until after I moved since I didn’t want to pay for a license I could use for only a month.  Alabama didn’t care.

    The topic ‘Changing last name + Changing state of residence – which did you do first?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors