moonpie90: I am currently, slowly working on these things. This is the order of which I have accomplished the task of name changing:
1) I sent a request to Probate for 2 certified copies of our marriage license. Your county court shoud have info on how to do that, etc. These will be needed in various circumstances.
2) Sent request for my new SS card. Where I live, you can do that by mail. Again, you can read up on it wherever you are from. I sent the form, my passport and a certifed marriage license, all of which they sent back. It took about 3 weeks to get my card. Of course, you can go into your local office, and do it quickly, but I did not have the time or energy.
3) Went to the BMV for a DL. I took marriage license and new SS card. They issued one, no problem.
4) I am moving my money into DH’s bank. She said once I have my new DL, it will be no problem adding me onto the account, getting checks, etc. I do not need to change my name at my bank.
5) I submitted a copy of my new DL with a form to change my voter registration.
6) Utilities are mostly in DH’s name, because I sold my home and moved into his existing home, so I had no issues there. I also do not have a credit card, student loans, mortgage, etc.
7) Passport – Our honeymoon is 6 months after our marriage in May, so upon meeting with the travel agent, while awaiting my new name documents, she told me that I do not have to worry about changing my name on my Passport. I have 8 years left on my current one. I have to book my airline ticket under the name on the Passport, no question. International flying only uses your Passport for verification, so those have to match. I am going to bring a copy of our marriage license JUST IN CASE there is an issue, and they need/question my DL, but I was instructed not an issue.
I am probably missing something, but 6 weeks in, I think I have done a lot!