Post # 1
my Fiance and I got engaged on July 30 on our one-year anniversary. we started planning for an April 30th wedding and had a ceremony site, reception site, officiant, band, florist, hairstylist, all the BMs have their dresses, and I have my dress which is scheduled to get here in early January. we also have our honeymoon booked. i DIY’ed simple save-the-dates and I finally have our address list together, but I have not mailed out any yet.
fast forward a few months. . .this week my matron of honor calls and she is pregant with her second kid! i’m so excited for her but here’s the thing, she’ll either be 38 weeks or 34 weeks at my wedding. and they live in CA so she will be flying across the country for my wedding. thus if she is 38 weeks, she is not supposed to fly. if she is 34 weeks, some airlines will let you fly with a doctor’s note but some frown on it. she is like a sister to me, we went to college together and still talk on the phone regularly. . .we are both only children so we joke about being ‘sisters’.
so we were brainstorming. . .on a side note we are Christian and saving sex till marriage. . .anyway, the idea came up, what if we just got married earlier? we would LOVE to just go ahead and be married. the cons are that outdoor pictures would be harder (it’s probably about 50 degrees in Feb in NC) and of course, just the fact that it is a big deal to change a wedding date! or is it?
we called our vendors and it looks like February 19th would work for everyone. . .we would not lose any money. . except the $100+ I spent on putting together our Save the Dates. and if we took our honeymoon at the originally scheduled time, in May, we wouldn’t lose money there either but if we wanted to change the honeymoon it would cost us $150 each.
of course we are going to make our own decision with our families, etc. .but I am just curious as to what you Bees think.
what would you do?
Post # 3
I think if it wouldn’t inconvenience the most important people (wedding party, immediate family) there’s nothing wrong with moving the date.
Post # 4
I think moving the date of the wedding would be fine. As long as all the other “most important” people can do it.
As far as the honeymoon, keeping it where it is might be nice. That way you have time to recoup after the wedding since you will probably be exhausted from the wedding weekend and you will also have something fun to look forward to as a couple to keep the newlywed feeling going!
Post # 5
@hellorebecca: i think in your situation that changing the date seems to be best option! if it doesn’t affect your closest family member or friends, i say go for it! the small loss on the STD’s is a small price to pay to have your BFF be there on your BIG DAY 🙂
Post # 6
I think you are super lucky that it worked with all your vendors, etc!
I don’t think it’s a big deal to move the date forward, as long as all the parties involved are ok with it (family, wedding party, etc). People may have already made arrangements to attend – but, as long as you can communicate with them and figure it out, you should be ok.
The only other thing to consider – is, after moving all the timing up – if something happens with your Maid/Matron of Honor and she needs to have bedrest and/or has the baby early, she may not be able to attend afterall. This may be a rare situation, but still something to consider.
All the best to you!
Post # 7
The only way I can think of to keep the date the same would be to have her say she is a couple weeks earlier than she really is, if she’s only 34 weeks that is. They will have no way to know she isn’t 32 weeks along but if she is 38 weeks I wouldn’t do it because there is a reason you aren’t supposed to fly when you are that far along. The only problem is, how soon would you know if she will be only 34 weeks or 38 weeks? I’d say change the date because I would want the people close to me there.
By The Way, my wedding date if February 19 too. lol
Post # 8
Since you haven’t sent out Save-The-Date Cards or invitations and have only verbally suggested a date, I think changing your date would be fine. She means the world to you, and if she can come then and travel safely, I would go for it. You are spending no more money to move the date and taking the honeymoon later would provide for warmer temperatures wherever you go.
And 50 degrees in February isn’t awful….I’d take it. 😀
Post # 9
I agree with everyone else – double check the new date with your families and other VIPs, and then change the date. It seems like the best option for you!
Post # 10
If you know in your heart you aren’t going to resent her if you change the date they go ahead. You wouldn’t be out too much money and it seems as if the date change would work for everyone.
Post # 11
thanks guys. we are really leaning toward changing the date! my Maid/Matron of Honor has her ultrasound appt on Thursday so then she will know more specific info about her pregnancy. but honestly as my fiancee and I have been talking about it, we truly see a lot of advantages to changing it and not too many disadvantages. our colors, my dress, etc would work just as well with a near-valentines’-day wedding. and our families have been supportive as we have talked to them. although my mom is freaking out that if we change the date, we have 112 days to go! (she calculated this today.) ahh!