(Closed) Changing w-2 status?

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 2
4040 posts
Honey bee

Your 2014 income tax return will be filed as married – filing jointly, and can be, even if the couple doesn’t marry until December 31, 2014. Therefore, all the income you earn in 2014 will be taxed at the rates of MFJ. Tell him to fill out the W-4 with MFJ. You don’t have to wait until after April 25th.

P.S. I’m a retired CPA.

Post # 3
9139 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

PABride:  Excellent advice but that is to be expected from a CPA.  🙂

Post # 4
1769 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

And, as an HR person…filling out a new W4 is no big deal. It would take about two seconds and he/you can even print and fill out the w4 then drop it off (just google “w4 form”). Some people make adjustments to their w4s about once a month! Also, single withholdings are higher than married, so (depending on how you look st it), if he remains single its nbd, you’d just get a bigger refund/owe less.

The topic ‘Changing w-2 status?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors