Changing your last names in 2017.

posted 2 months ago in Relationships
  • poll: My question is, are you still gonna change your names in this day and age?
    Yes. : (200 votes)
    74 %
    No. : (71 votes)
    26 %
  • Post # 2
    812 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2018

snowlovingbee :  I asked why are you still doing this

You sound so patronising, i’m surprised they answered.  

Post # 3
    114 posts
    Blushing bee

snowlovingbee :  I think every woman should. It’s just the way it’s always been and we don’t need any more psychotic feminists out there. Why is it even a thing to NOT to do it? The only reasonable answer is if it would affect your career.

Post # 5
    812 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2018

jessrohde08 :  The only reasonable answer is if it would affect your career.

Well that’s ridiculous, the only reason a women has to give if she doesn’t want to change her name is that she doesn’t want to.  Why does keeping your own name make you a ‘psychotic feminist’? 

Post # 6
    114 posts
    Blushing bee

zzar45 :  I know where this is going. [content moderated for name-calling] I will leave this post now. Change your last name or don’t. I feel the way I feel. Toodles

Post # 7
    1700 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2016

snowlovingbee :  why do people still fee the need to question others choices in this day and age?

If you don’t want to change your name, that’s great. However, the choice to change your name is no valid (and therefore does not need to be defended).

By the way, I didn’t change my name but I still don’t feel the need to question those that did.

Post # 10
    1245 posts
    Bumble bee

Im changing it because I want to.  I’d want to 50 years ago & I’d want to 50 years from now.  I’d want to even if I published papers & it led to confusion.

OP you sound a little judgy. From the way you asked your friends to the way you put their answers (choice) in quotations on this thread. 

Choice is important & you aren’t doing much good by talking about other women’s choices like this.

ETA: I saw your update. I think just the phrase “in this day and age” implies that you think name changing is archaic and burdensome.  You might not have meant to say that- could’ve just come out wrong!

Post # 11
    199 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2018

loz24 :  This. 

I seriously don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to others if you choose to change or not change your name? Who cares, really? It’s your choice and you should be supported in whatever decision you make, not with passive-agressive statements like “why are you still doing this.” Perhaps we shouldn’t tear each other down (like a PP calling someone a “psychotic feminist”) and feel free to make whatever decision we want when it comes to our name. 

Post # 12
    1700 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2016

snowlovingbee :  but you did question them. You say “I asked why are you still doing this?” That’s a question, directed at them therefore you’re questioning them.

I didn’t change my name and there’s a whole host of reasons why I didn’t but mostly? I didn’t want to. I hate being questioned about why I didn’t because to a lot of people “I didn’t want to” isn’t a good enough reason. To me the same thing applies to those who are changing their name. They want to and that’s enough.

Post # 13
    48 posts
    Newbee

I’ll be changing mine. It’s one of the things I am most looking forward to. To me that’s all part of being married and sharing your life with someone else, joining their family, but I can understand that to others it isn’t and they don’t want to.  I certainly don’t associate it with any old-fashioned values but for those that do, the option is there not to change it, just a matter of personal choice.

Post # 14
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2017

I live in a country where it’s not the norm to change your name, and my FI is from this country, but I come from a country where it is the norm.

I’m going to change my name. Partly, it will help with visas for him to come to my country. Partly, I just want to have the same surname as my husband and children. The easiest way to do that is for me to change my name.

Post # 15
    2946 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

I change it in the beginning of this year. I had always planned to change my name. For personal reasons, I did not want the connection of my maiden name and have never been fond of it.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors