Changing your last names in 2017.

posted 2 years ago in Relationships
  • poll: My question is, are you still gonna change your names in this day and age?
    Yes. : (201 votes)
    74 %
    No. : (71 votes)
    26 %
  • Post # 121
    1002 posts
    Bumble bee

Eh. Do what you want. I do not know why or care about why people change their names or not. I will probably keep my middle name and take his last name. My maiden name is very uncommon but its not like I will ever be famous or remembered many generations after my death. Thats my thought on it. 

I somewhat get keeping your name if you were an M.D./ Phd… whatever. But unless you are trying to find the cure all of every disease or create electricity all over again… no one will remember you. I can’t even remember any of writers’ names of the 100s-1000s of scientific articles I read throughout college. 

Post # 122
    2155 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I never considered not changing my name. I don’t have any friends or family who kept their maiden name either…. TBH, it does seem weird to me not to want to unify ourselves and become a new family unit by having the same name. I’d never want to have children who didn’t share our last name, and eye roll at kids given hyphenated names. FWIW, I have a career where I have several certificates in my name and it was a total pain in the ass to change my name everywhere-but I absolutely love having my husband’s name. 

Post # 123
    5013 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2018

I changed it the first time, got divorced, and didn’t change it back. I liked it, it was great for teaching (common, phonetically spelled), and changing it would’ve been a huge hassle all over again. 

So now my serious, knows-what-ring-I-want boyfriend (reasonably) expects me to take his last name when that day inevitably comes, and I will.

Post # 124
    565 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

itsachickenwingthing :  “But unless you are trying to find the cure all of every disease or create electricity all over again… no one will remember you.” That’s not the point of keeping your name as an academic. It’s about reputation and publications among the living, breathing colleagues in your field. I’ve never heard someone argue for keeping their name because they wanted to be “famous or remembered many generations after [their] death” – what a weird straw man. 

Post # 125
    1434 posts
    Bumble bee

itsachickenwingthing :  Losing papers is actually something that happens pretty often to women who change their names. Some journals have auther ID that allows you to attach a number that links all your papers, but that doesn’t always help. For example when applying for a job or collaborating with new people and they look you up, they won’t see your papers that were under your old name unless they dig pretty hard. So it’s not so much people remembering your name after reading your papers, but instead people finding your papers by searching your name.

Post # 126
    11 posts
    Newbee

I changed my name when married before and changed it back when I divorced.  I plan to change it again this time.  My Fiance already calls me by his last name.  I like it. 

Post # 127
    71 posts
    Worker bee

I changed mine. I moved from Canada to the US at the same time I got married so I had to get all new ID anyway. I changed my name because it was super important to me to have the same last name as my future children. I grew up with divorced parents and my mom has a different last name than me so going through school there was seemed to be confusion when my mother signed permission slips, notes to my teachers, etc.. I didn’t want that hassle of having to explain all the time. 

Post # 128
    1186 posts
    Bumble bee

I’m changing mine, but I totally get why some girls don’t. Each to their own!

xo

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors