(Closed) Changing Your Name During Graduate School

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
1326 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ

Good question! I hope someone answers; I’ll be having to do the same thing!

Post # 4
2889 posts
Sugar bee

I did this. I got married just as I entered the 3rd year of my Ph.D. and it was not so hard. My Professor and department colleagues all think it’s fun to call me by my new name so that was not a problem at all. I get Mrs. new last name instead of my first name a lot. i had a minor problem with the University IT department as they tried to cancel my old email address which I need to maintain since may students still have that one from last year. Depending on how complex your University is, it should not be a problem. I often forget my new name becasue I’m so used to introducing myself as my maiden name it’s funny when I screw up. 

I did have one student who tried to come to my office hours and blame my maiden name on giving him wrong information. He was shocked to find out that would not work since I am still the same person with a new name.

Post # 5
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Similarly to Slicey I did this and didn’t have much trouble.

If you change your name with the registrar it automatically changes your name officially with the university! The only thing that is more difficult is email. I decided to choose to keep my old email address and just change the name that appears with it to my new name.

My department already accepted the married name readily and easily.

I found changing my name on all of my utilities and bills harder than at school so I shouldn’t think you will have too much trouble!

Post # 6
477 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Funny how this is what made getting married feel “real” to me.  I came into law school with one name, and now I’m leaving law school with a different name on my diploma, license and graduation program!

I go to a major state university and I just need to file a form with my Registrar and fill out my commencement forms with my new name.  Its really not a big deal once you have your marriage license.  My Registrar was super easygoing about it – she said its not a big deal at all and they can just reroute e-mail from your old address to the new one.  Just pick up your new ID card and we’re good to go!

Post # 7
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Yup, I also needed a new id card, but they let me keep the old one because they couldn’t transfer the cash balance which was less than $5 so now I have 2 ids!

The topic ‘Changing Your Name During Graduate School’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors