(Closed) Changing your name in Ontario, Canada

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I haven’t really started looking into it in depth yet (although I probably should). I think that actually calling the government (there should be a # on the website) might help because I also found that it wasn’t very clear.  I think then you have to start calling different agencies that handle ID cards (e.g. birth certificate, health card etc).

Post # 4
87 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

There’s a company in Canada called I’m a Mrs. They offer name changing services with all the forms and various things necessary for changing it all over. I think it’s like $50 for all the forms and some help.

Their website is http://www.imamrs.com

That being said – I don’t know how complicated it is to do it all on your own – I would assume that there are some standard forms. My friend had some difficulties changing hers out in Vancouver but I think she said it had something to do with being staff at the RCMP rather than government name change.

Post # 5
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I have already done the research as I was interested.

In ontario there are two ways to change your name:

1) Assume his name

– to assume his name (or I guess add his name to yours) literally you just have to use your marriage license. With your license start with the four major IDs (Driver’s License, Passport, SIN, Health Card) just bring in your marriage license and old IDs and they will change them. Then once you have ID with your new name you can take your new ID and marriage license to do the rest of the changes banks, with your employer etc.

– when you assume his name you can change back to your maiden name or change to hyphenated or change to his only at any time. Your birth certificate will remain with your maiden name

2) Change your name Formally

– You will have to apply to the government to do this by filling out a formal application. This will formally and legally change your name and change your BIRTH CERTIFICATE to your new married name

– If you have your name legally changed you will have to pay to change it again (god forbid) if you ever need too.

Most people just assume their husbands name.

Check out all the details in the links above!

Hope this helps

The topic ‘Changing your name in Ontario, Canada’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors