(Closed) changing your name

posted 10 years ago in Vancouver
Post # 3
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2007

sounds to me that it’s like in Ontario.  You don’t actually have to do anything before the wedding.  You just take his name on your marriage certificate and you’re done.

Post # 4
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

"Entirely new last name" means the Jones to Black change to me. You would be applying for a legal change of name in that situation and in the hyphenated situation because there are no other documents (marriage certificates, birth certificates) preexisting with that name on it as proof, so the legal order serves as that proof.

Post # 5
69 posts
Worker bee

When you get a legal name change, EVERYTHING with your name gets changed – including your birth certificate.

You should be safe just "assuming" Mr Shortcake’s last name. I think all you need to do is bring a copy of your marriage certificate along when you go to change your driver’s license, etc.

Post # 7
216 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

You don’t need to apply for a legal name change in BC.  You can start using your married name everywhere, and just show your marriage certificate as proof.  This works for banks, your driver’s license, etc.  An entirely new last name means a last name that wasn’t pre-existing to either spouse.  If you both became Mr. and Mrs. Carrot Cake

Post # 8
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I’m so glad someone asked this question!!!  Thanks everyone!!  I was really worried about that one too!!!

The topic ‘changing your name’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors