(Closed) CHEAP ring options? Under $1,000 preferably under $500

posted 5 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Which option do you think is best?
    Create custom ring with mom's diamonds : (22 votes)
    44 %
    Cheap non-diamond flashy ring for first year and antique ring after that : (9 votes)
    18 %
    Buy the cheapest diamond ring we can find even if the style doesn't suit me : (2 votes)
    4 %
    Cheap non diamond ring with classic band, keep the same band replace e-style-ring over time : (17 votes)
    34 %
  • Post # 2
    2348 posts
    Buzzing bee

paintitblackcat9:  I worked in fine jewelry for a while. Diamonds are ALL markup. All you need to do is buy used. I would recommend antique stores, vintage stores, pawn shops, and estate sales over cheap mall chains. I know not everyone is into the look of my vintage set but you can easily find solitaires, classic styles, modern styles, and everything in between used for a fraction of the cost that it would be new. 

My 3 stone mine cut diamond ring is 18k white gold and from the 1940s. It was $500 and it will definitely last a lifetime. My wedding band is 18k gold and from the 1920s and it cost $200: 

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  swonderful.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  swonderful.
    Post # 3
    4238 posts
    Honey bee

I’ve purchased ss and cz rings that have held up just fine. Inexpensive, but not “cheap,” since they held up and looked great. And we got my original e-ring (14k yg/diamond a-band) from the clearance section for ~ $500 and I would not call that a “cheap” ring, either.

Buy what you want. Upgrade as you please. Just my $0.02.

Happy engagement.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  NFLwidow.
    Post # 4
    7032 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

paintitblackcat9:  I think you need to do some research and decide what kind of ring you want. Do you want a gemstone? Diamond? Solitare? Cluster of stones? There are literally endless “cheap” rings out there, but it’s hard to suggest some without knowing your personal style. For me, I would look into what strikes your eye and what you’re drawn to, find out what stone/metal, and then research the duralbilty of them. For example, certain stones (for example, a tanzanite) aren’t that suitable for an ering that you wear constantly because they are soft stones and can crack easily.

Almost any online jewlery retailer will will let you search by budget. I’d start there. Another great place to start would be overstock.com if you’re open to the idea.

Post # 5
    1125 posts
    Bumble bee

I don’t call my ring “cheap”…but it was $550 with the lifetime care plan, so definitely more inexpensive than a lot of engagement rings. I told Darling Husband I didn’t want a diamond so that took care of the more expensive options. I wanted London blue topaz and that’s what I got! I love it, and Ive worn it every day for the past 8 months and so far so good. All jewelry will suffer wear and tear whether it’s diamond or not, so I don’t see that as a problem really. If I were you, I would probably go for a sturdier metal and make sure I got a protection plan/warranty on it in case it does need repairs. Pick a hard-ish stone you like and go from there. There’s white sapphire and white topaz if you want something that looks like a diamond. Otherwise there are a bunch of other gemstone options! 

Post # 6
    4238 posts
    Honey bee

And I also agree with swonderful; many pre-loved rings to be had with a little research.

Post # 8
    10577 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

What about a moissanite ring, they will hold up over time.There are plenty of moissanite rings in 14k gold within your budget. Here is one of the most popular moissanite websites. Moissaniteco.com there is information on their site if you don’t know what moissanite is. 

Post # 9
    3223 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

I love the idea of your mothers’ stones and gold! So meaningful and you can save a lot of money that way.

Post # 12
    4238 posts
    Honey bee

paintitblackcat9:  

I hear you. We looked for an inexpensive option, too, but, I also knew I wanted an a-band, so, we were already looking at a smaller budget anyway. The key is to know what you want.

Do you want a forever ring? Do you want a nice e-ring that may get upgraded or relegated to your right hand one day? Do you want an a-band that can stack with others that will commemorate and celebrate other milestones in your life and marriage? And, to be honest, it matters what your groom wants, too, doesn’t it?

Happy shopping. There are SO many options.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 13
    11381 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

swonderful:  Absolutely obsessed with your rings! They’re very beautiful!!

OP, My rings are valued around for the solitaire alone $1700 retail. The band $500 retail. My husband only paid $659 for both. We found the solitaire on EBay used. The seller had a lot of feedback and all positive so we went for it. The band is from a Jeweler based in Cali who is on EBay and Etsy. The band was brand new. The ering was $400 and the band was $259. Both sellers had 100% positive feedback, which is really important when shopping online.

The ering is a .53 carat round brilliant diamond, H color, eye clean in a 14k white gold setting. The band’s diamonds match my ering exactly and it is 14k rose gold. 

I highly suggest checking out some pawn shops near you or looking online. If you do go the EBay/Etsy route make sure you check out the sellers feedback and that they have a return policy. Take your ring to a jeweler and have them test it to make sure it’s a diamond or whatever stone you paid for. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 14
    213 posts
    Helper bee

I would start with the metal. For me silver can turn my finger green over time. You can def get into the gold family easily in your priceRange. The. Think about stones or gems or other looks You may want.  Moissanite and saphire are great options for white stones. I’ve also heard great things about asha as well. But def start with a good metal. You don’t want green fingers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 15
    11381 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

What style ring are you looking for and maybe we can help lead you in the right direction? ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘CHEAP ring options? Under $1,000 preferably under $500’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors