(Closed) Chest & back breakouts…I am at my wits’ end!

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
4014 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Girl, there is just no stopping that stress acne sometimes!! Go to the Dermatologist! I starting getting stress zits on my chest and back a few years ago and the dermatologist gave me a cheap prescription for a cream and a pill— WORKED WONDERS!! When its stress that is causing zits, its kinda like a chemical imbalance in your body. Its much easier to treat with a dermatologists help. Good Luck!

Post # 4
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Go to a dematologist.  Most likely its related to stress but your derm will prescribe meds as well as suggest a cleaning regime that will help.  I never had zits until I was 32.  I went to my derm and discovered it was a hormonal imbalance.  She suggested patience and a new regime.  It worked. 

Good Luck!!!!

Post # 5
921 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

i bought neutrogena scrubbing pads. they have been my lifesaver! they are pre medicated and have a scrubby side and soft side. ive been breaking out lately too and so i have Fiance scrub my back for me since i cant see my back. it gets off all the dead skin and scrubs any break out away literally.

Post # 6
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Some spa places will do a back & chest facial if you ask to help for such an issue. I had an issue with back acne when I was younger and routinely used my facewash and face scrub on the areas and when I had a bad one, I would use a product from Origins called “Spot treatment” worked wonders! It’s not too expensive and you only use a tiny drop and it clears it up in a day or two. 

Post # 7
4804 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I started to get this problem (chest, back, face acne when I didn’t have it before) when I went off birth control pills a few months ago.  I started using the Neutrogena body clear body wash as well; I have only noticed a slight improvement very recently.

The only other thing that has worked for me, and I know it’s bad for you in general, is tanning. It seems to help for some reason, whether it’s actually clearing it up or just camouflaging.  I don’t tan at all normally, but might consider doing it for my wedding partly for this reason.

Post # 8
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

the only thing that has ever put a curb to my adult acne is the birth control pill.

get yourself to the dermatologist. but also, maybe consider springing for a makeup artist on the day of? they are experts at covering imperfections, and they can use something that won’t rub off on clothes. not having to stress out about how your chest & back look in your dress might be worth the cost!

also, don’t pick!!!  makeup is going to do you no good if it’s all crusty (sorry, tmi)

Post # 9
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

@MademoiselleL: re: tanning:

I think it’s the UV rays that help. some dermatologists actually have a kind of  UV light that is supposed to treat acne, hopefully with fewer dangers involved.

Post # 10
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I love the Neutragena Body Clear Body Spray.  I use it a few times a day, and it really helped clear up my back for the wedding.  I also cut way down on how much hair gel/mousse/hairspray I was using, and put my hair in a bun whenever I wasn’t at work (and when sleeping).  Make sure to change your sheets and pillowcase a lot too, and don’t wear the same pajamas too many days in a row. 

Post # 11
1165 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Oh I can so sympathize!  I haven’t had back acne in years and then in December I went off birth control because I waited to long to order my refill (stupid!) and then didn’t get my period and ended up being off of it for 3 months.  I’m convinced that’s what triggered it and now it’s been a few months that I’ve been back on it but I can’t seem to get it under control.  I found a couple of sources that said vinegar can help so I started that this week and so far it may be working, I don’t have any active ones right now, just the red spots left over that have flattened out.  It’s too soon to say if it’s going to work, but I have hope,  I have less than 2 months until my wedding, so if it doesn’t clear up by the beginning of next month I’m going to resort to tanning beds.  I REALLY don’t want to, I’m so against those stupid things, but I just can’t handle the thought of a zit-filled back on my wedding day when my back will be on display. 

If you’re interested, here’s my regimen at the moment: In the morning I wash with a body wash with salicylic acid (like the Neutrogena one) and then spray my back with a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water.  It doesn’t smell good, but I can’t smell it on myself once it dries.  Then at night I wipe my back down with one of those pre-moistened makeup remover towelettes and spray again with the vinegar/water mix and once that dries I put benzoyl peroxide all over my back.  This stuff bleaches your clothes/towels/sheets so I only use it at night.

Good luck, I know how completely frustrating it is!

Post # 12
3148 posts
Sugar bee

Be careful of your diet and what your eating!!!

Post # 13
994 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Diet & what you are eating is going to have very little to do with it, it’s hormonal or bacterial issues. Go straight to a dermatologist — my dd’s derm told us that bacne is the hardest to treat. They may give you antibiotics, retin-a or have you use the UV light. They had my dd start with bp but said bacne often doesn’t respond to it. good luck!

Post # 14
3148 posts
Sugar bee

@blu77: 

I do not understand how you can say that it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Diet has a direct effect on our body’s insulin levels. Insulin is our master hormone and affects all of our other hormones, including our androgens (male hormones). Scientists heavily suspect that hormonal fluctuations, particularly in our androgen levels, can result in acne flare ups. Insulin also affects growth hormone and a host of other hormones which may be related to acne formation on a cellular level. It is hypothesized, yet unproven, that a diet which causes insulin spikes may affect the pathogenesis (development) of acne.

The right diet may also be related to acne in positive ways. Eating a low glycemic diet rich in veggies, fruit, seafood, and grass-fed meat can help stabilize insulin levels, which theoretically may have an impact. Also, ingesting Omega-3 fats, such as fish oil, for instance, has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent in our body. Since a big part of acne is inflammation, it makes theoretical sense that eating an anti-inflammatory diet would help.

The thing is, it’s unproven and unclear if diet affects acne/flare-up’s and break outs, so if someone is desperate for relief and nothing is working… then why not eat healthy (which you should anyhow) and see if it gives some relief — better than taking a bunch of pills.  My thought is… how can it hurt to eat right and see what happens?  Because they never really know what the direct cause is.  Try and change something you can control to help.

OP– I really hope you get some relief! Good luck to ya!

Post # 15
Hostess
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Have you tried body sprays?  I used to use one by Clinique but they discontinued it so I use Murad now.

Post # 16
132 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I am so sorry! That must be incredibly stressful! I agree about going to a dermatologist – I doubt the prescription will be very expensive, and it will be so worth it to feel gorgeous on your wedding day.

I occasionally have minor breakouts on my face and have found that benzoyl peroxide works far better than salicylic acid for me, so if you’re hesitant about going to the dermatologist you might give some kind of face or body wash with that a try instead.

The topic ‘Chest & back breakouts…I am at my wits’ end!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors