(Closed) Chicago Airport fire – should I be worried? Yes? No? Mimosa?

posted 4 years ago in Travel
  • poll: Should I really worry about something I can't control?
    yes : (0 votes)
    no : (1 votes)
    9 %
    have a mimosa : (10 votes)
    91 %
    tell mom to chill : (0 votes)
  • Post # 2
    1243 posts
    Bumble bee

    1. Have two mimosas.

    2. Call your brother and ask him if he’d gotten word from the airline he is traveling with of any cancellations/changes.Tell him to keep you and your mother posted.

    3. Have another mimosa and fall down the Beyonce videos rabbit hole.

    Post # 3
    2945 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

    Have another mimosas.  It happened on Friday, and most of the backlog/delays should be handled by the end of the week.   Plus, if they get delayed Wednesday/Thursday, they should still be able to redirect through a plan B by Saturday.  

    Don’t let your mom’s panic effect your wedding week.  My mom and DH’s mom’s panic caused the few small errors on our wedding day to happen. 

    Post # 4
    7355 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

    Things are slowly getting back to normal but it does take a while to re-accomodate all those displaced passengers, plus there are aircraft and crew out of position, meaning your plane might be parked at O’Hare but your flight crew is stuck in Denver. Personally I think that, by Wednesday, things will be back to mostly normal, with few cancellations but a fair number of delays, due to the temporary relocation of the ATC services and personnel. 

    First, have a mimosa. Then tell your mother to have a mimosa. Then send an email or make a quick call to your traveling guests and recommend they contact their airline; many of the airlines are allowing customers to make a one-time change to their itinerary, so that they can route around O’Hare (maybe go Phoenix-Dallas-Albany  or Phoenix-Washington Dulles-Albany depending on which airline they are flying) or book into a longer layover in Chicago to make more of a cushion against a missed connection. You will not be able to make this change for them; the ticketed passenger must make the change.  

    I would be perfectly comfortable connecting through Chicago in the current situation with 90 minutes or more layover but would not want to go below 90 minutes.

    Post # 6
    2508 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

    You should be ok.  I am from Chicago and my husband and I were trying to get there to visit this past weekend and we ended up having to cancel that trip and will be trying again next weekend.  However, flights are getting better everyday.  Things aren’t going to be fully recovered from this until mid-October, however I think as of today most flights will go out, you can just expect more delays.  Worse case scenario is that it takes an extra day to get there- definitely a pain, but they WILL be there for your wedding.  

    Post # 7
    7437 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2013

    I’m flying from NC to CA with a layover at Chicago Midway on Oct 6th. I’m really hoping we won’t have any issues because I’m flying with an 11 month old! 

    I think we’ll both be okay. At least I hope so!

    The topic ‘Chicago Airport fire – should I be worried? Yes? No? Mimosa?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors