(Closed) Chicago florist under $2,000?

posted 6 years ago in Chicago
Post # 2
2174 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m getting married next month in Chicago with a pretty small wedding (90 guests, 3 bridesmaids) and will be spending about $800 on diy florals that are very simple. I was quoted over 2,000 from every shop I went to. I’ll let you know in a month if diy is worth it, but at the moment, I’m wishing I would have went simplier and had a florist do it all.

That being said, if you aren’t a perfectionist, you can handle doing the flowers yourself. Our sample went over pretty smoothly. We made a few centerpieces and bouquets with 3 of us in about an hour. We’re planning that the 5 of us will do all 10 centerpieces and 3 bouquets in about 4 hours. Steve’s Flower Market on Grand Ave. has pretty reasonable prices. They sell wholesale but also do arranged flowers if you wanted to look into doing a mix.

Post # 3
799 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Check into Whole Foods.  I inquired with them (ultimately DIY’d mine since all I had was 2 bouquest and 4 bouts).  I was told it’s just the cost of the flowers chosen plus 25% markup for arranging/making

Post # 4
345 posts
Helper bee

Give flowers for dreams a try. I’m currently working w them w a $800 budget and so far I’m not disappointed. 

This is for the bouquet, boutonnière, and centerpieces. 

Post # 5
716 posts
Busy bee

Seconded Whole Foods. We used them too; very fresh, very satisfactory, can get most flowers we are asking for, and way cheaper than florists.

Post # 6
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2015

We used Petals n’ Bloom for our fairly large wedding last month. The owner Kristin was great to work with and very budget friendly! We spent around $1,500 for 7 bouquets, 12 boutonnières, 4 corsages, and 22 centerpieces. 

Post # 7
969 posts
Busy bee

Good Lord, that’s a lot of money! Sheesh!

Have you tried looking into your local Hy-Vee store for your wedding flowers? Now, I know that might sound strange, but Hy-Vee did my wedding flowers and I got nothing but raving compliments from my guests about how gorgeous the flowers and the arrangements were.  We used mostly real flowers along with some faux ones (from Hobby Lobby) because some of the flowers I wanted were out of season (and no one had a clue any of them were fake).  They did a phenominal job and did it at a great price! At least look into them, no harm in that. 😀

Otherwise, try cutting back on how many flowers you want to have and/or what types of flowers you use.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  MissesAwesome.
Post # 8
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: November 2015

Also check out Bouqs.com. They just started a bridal line, so that people can DIY. 

Post # 10
2174 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
northshorebride: They turned out fine, but I really wish I would have simplified the flowers and just had a florist do it. It ended up taking about 6 hours to do the bouquets the day before the wedding and they didn’t turn out as well as planned. They still looked nice, but it was stressful for my perfectionistic self. My bouquet was done by the florist and was stunning, as were the flowers we got from Steve’s, so I’d recommend them.

Post # 12
77 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2015 - Gibsons (Chicago - Gold Coast)

View original reply
BeeutifulBee:  I used Flowers for Dreams for my wedding 2 weeks ago and LOVED THEM!!!!

*our spend, with numberous changes and additions down to the last week, was just under $1300.

Post # 14
77 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2015 - Gibsons (Chicago - Gold Coast)

View original reply
northshorebride:  Sure! We haven’t received our pics yet (our photographer is on his honeymoon) but I’ll see if anyone snagged any good ones and post them here later this week. We had a cocktail party style wedding reception so I had a bridal bouquet (I didn’t want anything too large or heavy), 2 maids, a toss bouquet, 12 boutonnieres, 5 corsages, 8 bud vases (high boy tables) and 10 small-ish centerpieces (4 top tables). My inspiration was mostly white – roses, ranunculus, etc – with navy and gold accents (leaves, berries), and wintery garnishes/leaves. You can kinda see the bouquet in the grainy pic of me, along with the 3 inspiration bouquets I shared with Natalie (the florist I worked with).

I also ordered freeze-dried petals for the aisle (we didnt use a runner) from petalgarden.com

Post # 15
954 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

View original reply
detroitchicagogirl:  Ohhhh pretty!! I read this yesterday and contacted Flowers for Dreams yesterday! 

The topic ‘Chicago florist under $2,000?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors