(Closed) Chinese Custom & Timing

posted 8 years ago in South East Asian
Post # 4
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

i would allot about 3-4 mins per couple because it takes time for them to get shuffled in, sit down, serve the tea, give out the red envelops etc. it would be good to do this at the venue, instead of at home so there is more space because 20 ppl crowded around you would make for stress+photo disaster. my friend did hers where she had it in a separate room and had the coordinator bring in just 1 couple at a time so it was really organized and stress-free.

as for the door games, we’re not doing them but i would say allow at least an hour. have fun!

Post # 5
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2010

it could be anywhere from 1-5min per couple of relatives, depending on whether you will pose w each pair for pictures in between pouring tea, how much gifts and jewelry you will receive, and how much each person has to say (or lecture), and whether anyone starts crying.

In my case, I assigned a person on each side of the family to made sure everyone was lined up and ready to go at least 10 minutes before the starting time of the tea ceremony since we were doing it at a hotel suite.  We had several sets of tea cups ready so that people did not have run back-and-forth washing the cups in between relatives (which I had seen in some weddings).  My tea ceremony was running very smoothly until my parents and I started crying…so make sure you leave some time for unforseen circumstances!

The timeline of my schedule was very tight and I did not want doorgames, so we did not have to deal with that.  The duration of doorgames really depends on how many games your bridesmaids come up with and how reasonable/difficult those tasks are.  You can ask them to budget ___ minutes for it and make sure someone keeps track of time.

Post # 6
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I wish I could get rid of the doorgames…but the fam and my bms are super excited for doorgames. I’m budgeting about 4 minutes per couple just in case. The multiple sets of tea cups is brilliant! Didn’t even think of that. I’m hoping for the crying not to happen…but if my mom loses it, it is game over for me. I just hate how early I have to get up!! My parents said I need to be out of their house by noon. So the getting ready and tea ceremony business needs and getting out the door needs to be completed by noon. I wanted to do it at a different time and at the venue, but my parents said it has to be done at their house in the morning. It’s going to be a LONG day. Good luck planning out your ceremony!!

Post # 7
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018 - Ritz Carlton, Marina Del Rey

The door games were both mine and Mr. HC’s favorite part of the day!  It really set the tone for the wedding: fun, lively, full of laughter.  We set a limit of 45 min. — just make sure you have someone whose job it is to act as timekeeper, or else your bridesmaids might be at it all day!  

Our tea ceremony took quite a while — about 5 min. per couple, mainly because many members of our family had really lovely thoughts and advice to share with us.  (We used multiple tea sets and had some volunteers help ferry the cups back and forth, so logistics weren’t really the problem.)

Have a wonderful time at your ceremony.  It’s such a special part of the day!

The topic ‘Chinese Custom & Timing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors