(Closed) Church Street Bridal–Thoughts & advice please, girls!

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Church Street Bridal gets their dresses from Kleinfelds. I’ve heard really good things about them. I was going to go there to try on dresses but it is about 4 hrs from me and I didnt feel like making the trek! I am “friends” with them on facebook. Sometimes they post pictures of their gowns and they are gorgeous!

Post # 4
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I am also very petite (and also live in Dayton, haha!), and although I had hoped to find a designer sample, I was unsuccessful.  I attended a Filene’s Basement sale, and only found a handful of dresses (out of thousands) that were anywhere close to my size.  I visited a store that specializes in samples in CT, and again, only a few were anywhere close.  I also went to a Priscilla of Boston sample sale at their flagship store, and there was absolutely nothing.  If you are set on a top designer, then the alterations costs could be worth it.  For me, it wasn’t, and I ended up ordering a dress (a whole nother challenge…it’s tough ordering a dress when you only tried on a size 16 sample!). 

But, I haven’t been to Church Street, so they might have more sizes.

Post # 5
2216 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I made the trip from Ohio to CSB and would recommend it.  I thought about the trip as more of an adventure than anything else.  This way if I didn’t find my dream dress, I wouldn’t be totally disappointed and feel like I wasted a trip.  I went with my parents and stayed overnight.  We did CSB, the JCrew outlets, and made a trip to visit historical Charelottesville.

Although they aren’t as many size 2’s and 4’s as there are 10s, there are still selections in smaller sizes.  I didn’t really go through them because I am a little bigger than you.  I would email Michelle at CSB and ask about the smaller size selections.

Good luck and have fun!

Post # 6
95 posts
Worker bee

I agree with Coffegal, email Michelle, she is nothing but wonderful. Consider it a girls roadtrip and you will have memories if nothing else!

Post # 7
706 posts
Busy bee

@Ms. St. Louis: What is your street size? My understanding is that high-end bridal sizing translates to around two sizes smaller than street sizing anyway (so if you were a size 2, you would be around a size 6). This held true for me and many others who purchased from Church Street. 

Most dresses do need some alterations made to them, but they are SO highly discounted that alterations costs don’t bring the dress price close to even a fraction of the original cost. We’re talking $10,000 dresses discounted to $500. I got a dress that retailed for $4,600 for $450. It’s insane. Do keep in mind, though, that most of these dresses are samples so they will need minor repairs. Again, nothing that would bring the cost close to the original cost, but repairs nonetheless. You should definitely email them with pictures and names of dresses and designers who interest you, to get an idea of what their selection is. I love Church Street!!

Post # 9
392 posts
Helper bee

I’m a street size 4-6 and bought a size 10 dress which was only slightly to big in the bust area. I think that bridal sizes run alot smaller, especially the designer gowns! I definitely think it’s worth the trip! They have an array of sizes and styles and are a very helpful group of ladies, plus you’d be supporting a great cause πŸ™‚

Post # 10
2216 posts
Buzzing bee

@Ms. St. Louis:I wish I knew.  I am currently searching for a seamstress and not having a whole lot of luck.  But I’m in Cleveland, so you might have better luck down there…

Post # 13
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

I would be careful about purchasing a dress before you plan the ceremony.  Some ladies have purchased “the perfect dress” but then they get married indoors or outdoors or on a beach or in a museum and suddenly their perfect dress isn’t so perfect for their wedding.  Daytime or evening ceremony times can also affect your choice for a dress (glitzier for evening, plainer for daytime).

Post # 14
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@Ms. St. Louis: I had my alterations done by a woman out of Cincinnati, Lori Schur.  All I had done was a bustle, but she only charged me $15 for it, and it was a rush job.  She was in the process of moving when I worked with her, but I found her current contact info on a knot page: http://cincinnati.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_alterations-lori-schur-pls-1

Post # 16
1679 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m the girl who found the place.  So far, it seems as though three Ohio Bees have driven there.  However, they really seem more than happy to ship.  Bees in Sweden and Australia have had dresses shipped.

FYI, the Bee moderators asked us to move the thread.  It’s now over here: http://classifieds.weddingbee.com/topic/the-sample-gown-gold-mine

By The Way, I’m a size 2 at J. Crew and Banana Republic and I wear a 6 in high end bridal.  In Monique Lhuillier’s more slinky dresses (like Scarlet), I need an 8 in the hips.

Both of my wedding gowns are bridal 8s (won the first from the designer, the second was a sample).  Altering the first cost $150, but I realize that my seamstress is a rare gem.  I was expecting to pay $400.  Altering the second will probably cost a little more. 

The topic ‘Church Street Bridal–Thoughts & advice please, girls!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors