- 11 years ago
- Wedding: September 2010
This was a huge project that I committed to about a year before our wedding thinking that I’d have plenty of time to complete it. I really should have known better, I’m a procrastinator at heart and this wasn’t something I could complete the night before. I buckled down for the last 2 months before the wedding though and cranked out these roses like it was my weekend job. The hubs (well then, the FI) was such a big help… he cut out pieces for me until his many hands could take no more. We dyed them in a 5 gallon bucked of crimson fabric dye that looked like a vat of blood and is still sitting on our back porch and dried them over our plastic covered breakfast table before shipping them all the way to Wisconsin. The week before the wedding, these took 3 days of my whole family working away at it to uncurl and another few frustrating hours of trying to get the placement right. I wanted to give up on these things a million times… was the savings worth my sanity????
It so was!!! I was so proud of the way these came out and got so many compliments on them, especially after word started getting around that I had made all these flowers. And really the price could not be beat! I found the white towers at an after christmas clearance sale (their supposedly glass christmas trees) for $2 apiece and the coffee filters only cost me about $1.50 for a 100 pack. Sure, they’re not gorgeous real flower centerpieces like I’d love in an ideal world… but they turned our awesome all the same. I just had to share with you ladies. If anyone’s interested in trying their hand at these, this is the tutorial I used http://www.marthastewart.com/article/paper-roses except that I just used masking tape and then covered it in floral tape once the rose was assembled. I also constructed the rose on a bamboo skewer since I was just sticking it in styrofoam anyway. And the end result….