(Closed) Combining last names?

posted 8 years ago in Names
Post # 3
348 posts
Helper bee

A pdf available here: www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/chs/registration/docs/marriagenamech.pdf

suggests that you will have to do a court-ordered name change.  At marriage, either a man or a woman can choose to 1) keep their surname, 2) take their spouse’s surname, or 3) hyphenate their original surname with their spouse’s surname.  Anything else requires a court order.  Which is not to say that you can’t/shouldn’t do it – I think it’s a great idea.  But you’ll have to go through a longer process, it looks like.

Post # 4
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You will probably have to go to court and pay to change his name.  If you want to do this, I would consider changing his before you get married so that you can just change your name normally after you are married.

Post # 5
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I agree that the best method to achieve this would probably be for him to legally change his name to the new name (via court order) before you get your marriage license, and then after your wedding you change your last name to his (which would already be the new last name). The downside of the court order is that it takes time and costs money (a couple hundred dollars I believe), but it is totally possible!

The topic ‘Combining last names?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors