Post # 1
After a really exhaustive search, my SO and I decided on a winery to hold both our ceremony and reception. We called to ask about our prefferred date (October 12) at the very beginning on January, when the coordinator there said it was booked but she thought based on facebook that the couple was going to break up and to call back in two weeks. Sure enough, they did and she said she would hold the date until we could set up an appointment to put the deposit down.
Then, she was difficult to contact- apparently she was on vacation, but when she got back she made an appointment with my SO for this past Sunday (February 10). When he scheduled it, he didn’t realize I had to work a 12 hour day and called to reschedule. He said he could still come put the deposit down if they needed, but he knew I had some questions and she assured him it’d be fine to schedule it for next Sunday (February 17) when I knew I would have the whole day off work. It was going to be great since my parents are coming to visit (why I had the day off), so they could come with and check it out! We booked our photographer Friday, and I finally felt like everything was on track.
Yesterday, at work Fiance came by and told me they called. Apparently, someone came in on the weekend and had money on the spot so they gave them our date. They didn’t call us or anything. Now, I’m just bummed. We didn’t have a contract signed or anything, so nothing we can do about it. Just… completely bummed. I don’t want to have to venue search again, I had such a difficult time finding something that would fit the size/budget of our wedding… and at this point, who isn’t going to be booked for October 12th?
I know its not the end of the world. Not the worst thing that could happen- but I just needed to share. I suppose we could try the same venue for a different date, but after how they handled this… I’m not sure I want to still go with them. Fiance for sure doesn’t.
Anyone deal with something similar?
Post # 3
I say be more flrexible on your date and try to get that venue. When my Fiance went venue searching we prioritized the venue we wanted over what day we tied the knot. We were open to just about any Saturday in the June – October season. And even off season dates if there was a substantial discount.
Post # 4
I agree. Honestly, despite the phone conversations or what they knew about you guys wanting that date or about how you could come in later and the, having you penciled in, when it comes down to it they are a business, and the person who hands them money first wins. If your heart is set on that venue I’d choose another date that works for the two of you.
Post # 5
I guess we are more flexible with the date than I made it seem like. We’re open to late Sept, any time in October, and maybe
November. We’d be completely fine in November, except we would greatly prefer an outdoor wedding. Our area is notorious for having disfunctional weather (sunny tshirt weather one day, snow the next, tornados the next, lol) and October is usually the last month with generally warm/steady weather.
We’re just not sure if we want to stick with the venue, since they assured us they’d save the date and then didn’t. I’m sure once we signed a contract, they’d be kept to being more reliable but their actions felt a little scattered and shady to us. Unless its normal for a business to operate that way? Our photographer (before we confirmed) let us know immediately when someone else was interested in our date, and we booked right away- I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same.
Post # 6
I guess I just don’t understand why they didn’t just tell my Fiance to come in and make the deposit as he offered. I’ll ask if they have any other dates available, but when we checked in early January there was only 1 or 2 in our range.
Bah, I probably just need to get over myself. Thanks for the advice!
Post # 7
Yea they should have checked with you (even a voicemail would have been nice) but it’s not really a major thing imho. They have no way of knowing how serious you are. I just wanted to say… laaaame!!!
Post # 8
The Fiance were extremely aggressive in booking our vendors, if I was already set on the venue then the moment I heard it was available I’d exchange money that day/hour even if it meant inconveniencing people at work. I read so many books on booking venues/vendors and they really taught me to trust no one until there was a contract. There are only so many Saturdays in a year and you’re up against a lot of brides if your date is a Saturday. For our venue we showed up on a Saturday to look at it, they opened their calendar and we picked an open Saturday that same day. If we decided a certain day was “the one” and saw that someone else was penciled in we’d have definitely at least attempted to request if we could take that date since we had cash that day. I could see many coordinators crumbling for that, a promise from an enthusiastic customer versus the one there with cash now…there aren’t any repercussions to their business for favoring the one with cash since weddings are supposed to be a once in a lifetime thing and they sound like a popular venue choice. Even if you were to write a bad review on them explaining what happened on Yelp that wouldn’t stop other brides from looking at them imo. OR maybe the venue simply had miscommunications on saving that date and once the other couple was already booked just stuck to what they had committed to on paper? I could see the coordinator being too embarassed to face you if this was the case.
I’m sorry the venue won’t be able to be your one. But is sounds like even if you went with it your Fiance wouldn’t be happy about it.